Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 159 has oem xenons, so it has self leveling and washers.
I wanted to see them work (just for the fun of it). But no matter how many times i pull the stalk with the lights on or in 'auto' the washers never squirt.

Is there a separate fuse for them? (windscreen washers work fine)

Any thing else i should check?

Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so it was fuse F09, that was blown. i replaced it, and i can hear the headlight washer pump whir when i wash the windscreen with the lights on. butttt no water comes out of the jets.

Im thinking its probably been like that for a long time, so the pump might need to run for a bit to pump through the air, so im thinking to wire it on to the battery for like 20 seconds to see what happens, thoughts? i cant imagine a blockage would block ALL SIX jets?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Or a non-return valve stuck shut.

Worth fixing because headlight washers become an MOT item this year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is it assembled?

on my old cars the pump was in/on the washer bottle...

also, if i remove the front wheel and liner will i be ale to see the washer bottle?

My MOT expires in October thank god, plenty of time to investigate....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update, its the three way valve that comes after the pump.

splits the water into two feeds to go to the headlight washers...alfa want £40 for it!

any idea where i can get a cheaper replacement?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
update, its the three way valve that comes after the pump.

splits the water into two feeds to go to the headlight washers...alfa want £40 for it!

any idea where i can get a cheaper replacement?
I'm sure you can get something suitable from Halfords.
A non-return valve is £2.29 and a T-piece is £1.49.
Can't see an all-in-one T-piece/valve on their website, but even if you need to go for a valve and a T-piece, £3.78 is a lot less than £40...!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately, as the 159 has to feed 6 washer jets for the lights, the washer tubing is 8mm! not the normal 4.7mm, so the halfords range doesn't cater for this, been to 5 motor-factors near me and none of them have anything to help, one had an 8mm t-piece but i cant find an 8mm non-return valve for love nor money :(

so i went to alfa to complain...i got the replacement for £30, coming on Monday, i had to relent as i couldn't see a light anywhere else :(

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
:eek:
8mm pipe is huge for a washer...!

Just found an 8mm valve online for £6 though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've just had an mot fail for this on my Berra. Guy says he's checked the fuse and it's fine. So he suggests it's the pump; I guess from the above its a dedicated pump for the headlights? Need to investigate but guess it could be the valve like the OP experienced.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can someone give me some guidance on the location of the headlight washer pump please?
Want to track it down and look into it today.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok, had a quick look. Double checked the fuse which looks ok. Tried the washers and the motor is whirring, but don't know if it's just the main windscreen one.

The most obvious thing I noticed is a bit of hose that isn't attached to anything! Sticking up near the top of the reservoir. See photo. Is that too obvious?

Looks like a mission to get to where the pump is so ill have to get it looked at by a garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
How did you get on with this?

My problem is the opposite, the xenon washers work, but not the main windscreen washers. It is not the jets, as I disconnected the pipe (just up the bonnet a further from your cap photo) which has a join before it goes up to the bonnet, and did a test but no water flowed out of it.

Where is the main pump, and how do you access it?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Still got a problem on my Brera, with main windscreen and rear washers.

I checked fuses F41 and F43, and both are OK.

As already mentioned, my xenon washers are OK.

I assumed it was the pump so ordered a replacement. I just connected the new one to the electrical connector, and tried the washers. No noise was heard.

What next?

·
Registered
271 Posts
First off.
The windscreen and the headlights have their separate pumps.

I have a 2006 With original Xenons and washers. But my washers only work during the winter.

I wondered why they didn't work when I bought the car. I looked at fuses, relais. Testet the signal to the pump. I even tried the pump with a separate supply.
Pump was good but no signal.

Then, All of a sudden, this winter. It startet spraying like crasy when it was cold.

Then came spring and warmth. And the washes stopped once again.

So I guess they are temperature controlled on my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts