Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Looking to hear from any of you who may have had some success in breathing back life into an apparently failed headlight adjuster switch on a 159? Motors do not move at all and have not done in my time of ownership.

Fuses etc all check out and I could see anything untoward in the headlight assemblies so the switch was the next attack point.

You will see by the photos that it is pretty well disassembled, i had the actual selector wheel out as well however couldn't find any loose bits.

I imagine the mechanism is lacking another small contact point in between the large pointer shaped copper contact and the fixed wheel underneath as I cannot see any way with the current bits where any type of electrical contact could be made.

I saw a post on here form the Czech club however it looks as though the link is no longer.

Any thoughts????:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Do the other buttons work on this, and is your odometer flashing?

I had this and it wasn't the physical switch or unit, but a problem with the network.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Greetings all,

Looking to hear from any of you who may have had some success in breathing back life into an apparently failed headlight adjuster switch on a 159? Motors do not move at all and have not done in my time of ownership.

Fuses etc all check out and I could see anything untoward in the headlight assemblies so the switch was the next attack point.

You will see by the photos that it is pretty well disassembled, i had the actual selector wheel out as well however couldn't find any loose bits.

I imagine the mechanism is lacking another small contact point in between the large pointer shaped copper contact and the fixed wheel underneath as I cannot see any way with the current bits where any type of electrical contact could be made.

I saw a post on here form the Czech club however it looks as though the link is no longer.

Any thoughts????:confused:
You are missing the variable resistorpart of the potmeter as you mention...Mine is missing the same part :-(

When opening the panel to the fuse-compartment, sometimes the adjusterwheel comes of, and at some point during spring/summer, it also took the resistorpart with..Probably flying into the gravel in my driveway, cause there was nothing to be found in the bag of my, by then, totally full industrial vacumcleaner :-D

Unfortunately, i believe theres nothing to do but get another cluster for foglights and then donor the resistorpart or replace entire unit...Alfadesign :-( ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chipmik,

I thought that was the problem. Oh well, now to find a second hand working unit!

Cheers,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A whole bunch of torx screws from memory. There were one or two facing the door, they were literally all over the place. I'll see if I can find the section on the e-learn disc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kroftman, your email is full so I could not reply.

To answer your last email making the part from brass will be tricky. I don't have a photo but could send you a sketch if you send me your email address.

Your best bet is to get a headlight switch assembly from an AU wrecker (there is one from a UK wrecker on eBay approx AU$80 with shipping) or you may find an new one on one of the overseas sites.

Cheers

As the day goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts