Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for it...

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been mad enough to fit the F136U V8 from a granturismo into a 159 to make a "GTA"?

I'm pondering the idea....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for it...

Does anyone know if anyone has ever been mad enough to fit the F136U V8 from a granturismo into a 159 to make a "GTA"?

I'm pondering the idea....

Do it, do it, do it, do it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm struggling to find technical data currently.

I understand the theory was effectively a Q4 Ti with said mill mounted transversely.

I need dimensions etc to begin working out what would be required (I.e. Firewall work, engine mount locations etc)

Anyone have any ideas where such data might be hidden on the tinterweb?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the v8 prototype seen doing the rounds was most likely a maserati with the 159 bodywork tacked on, you could always contact Alfa directly you never know. They had various engine options under consideration one was the v8 but the most likely was a twin turbo or 3.6 version of the current engine. I expect you'd find making the existing engine into 3.6 litres a lot easier than the v8 route were your biggest problems will be interpreting all the electronics to work together.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The trouble with a V8 is it will still be the wrong way round in the engine bay and will slightly overhang the front wheels. I think there will be too much weight, too far up front? I think youd be better off with a v6 or 1750 tbi and making it a lot lighter, remember what GTA stands for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. Carbon fibre body panels would help to a degree as would a CF propshaft.

Seats are the other thing I'm thinking too

The F136 is all alloy so it should present some good saving.

As for orientation, I take your point. Having said that, I'd like to try and create as close to what Alfa were going to do as possible (sounds contrived I know....) So if that's what they were going to do... Comes back to what Peter RM was saying about contacting Alfa directly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts