Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have an 07 reg 159 2.4jtdm lusso, super car but i have 2 concerns.
1-according to Alfa combined fuel consumption 41mpg-i am getting 35mpg-the car has been in my local dealers & checked out, they say nothing wrong & if i am getting 35mpg i should count myself as lucky?
2-it is impossible to get a clean change going into 1st,3rd,&5th-again they tell me all 6speed 159`s are like this.
can anyone shed any light on this
ps car has 90,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You don't say what type of driving you mainly do but a standard 2.4 would be in the region of 35mpg. Remap and DPF delete will see a noticeable increase in mpg!

Re gear change mine is fine no notching or issues changing. Suggest this might be an issue you want to look into further to be sure

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, that seems about right with me as well. I've got the 2.4JTDm engine and get around 36-38mpg on long motorway runs. But for general driving around, the average works out to aroudn 27mpg. Nobody can get 41mpg out of this engine for any realistic form of "combined" driving. I was somewhere between gutted and enraged when I realised that the quoted mpg (the reason I bought the diesel over the petrol) is so utterly misleading. I have complained many times and just been told to live with it. My MPGs did improve a little when fitting a Bluespark tuning box, but this could be a false excitement since the computer doubtfully recognises the boxes modified injection pulses.

As for the gearbox... Well, there are lots of discussions on the forum about that. It seems you can be lucky and get a good gearbox or you can be unlucky and get a bad one. The trouble is, if you have a bad one, nobody seems able to guaratee they can fix it. The gearbox is absolutely the worst thing about the 159. Mine is dreadful going from 1st-2nd (stiff, notchy and really on the verge of grinding the teeth) and pretty bad also from 2nd-3rd. The garage have told me this is 'normal' and that a replacement offers no guarantee it will improve.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hi i have an 07 reg 159 2.4jtdm lusso, super car but i have 2 concerns.
1-according to Alfa combined fuel consumption 41mpg-i am getting 35mpg-the car has been in my local dealers & checked out, they say nothing wrong & if i am getting 35mpg i should count myself as lucky?

Lucky is about right try 29 on for size! roll on remap:)

2-it is impossible to get a clean change going into 1st,3rd,&5th-again they tell me all 6speed 159`s are like this.

Mine seems pretty smooth has covered 49k only 3k for me but no complaints as yet. may be worth looking in to further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mines the same - 2.4 manual 24k and owned for 2mths. was also shocked about the mpg after owning a 156 2.4 and the Gear box 1st to 2nd notchy-ness is mainly when it's cold. I was going to look at changing the gearbox oil to see if that made a difference but as usual I haven't got round to that yet!

·
Registered
146 Posts
i kinda feel the same. it is impossible to make fast shifts with this 6-speed manual i have on my 159sw. on my wife's punto i can shift in fraction of a second, no problem. it jumps almost itself in a gear. old 156 i drove was also awesome. but this 159 is... hard, not smooth, impossible to quick shift.

well, i've learned to live with it until i get myself a new alfa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts