Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
£4.88 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120962619117?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Could have got them cheaper from China but wanted to fit this year! ;)

As Outofspace says, you need to enlarge the hole (I bought cheaper/dimmer ones than him I think) and swap polarity. Was a half hour job to do both.

I never use the fog lights, and when I do they look horrid against the HIDs/LEDs. As people have also discussed, HIDs cut through the fog faaaar better than fogs in my opinion, so these are purely cosmetic I suppose.
They sound like the ones I bought, when I was filing out the hole to fit one my file went thro the glass at which point I burst into flames :mad: I only calmed down when I found a second hand one on ebay for £12.50. The mot is getting done next weekend so I'm going to wait till after before making the holes big enough for the new LED's !!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm looking forward to seeing another 159 or Brera on the road with this mod :) Glad to have been useful to you all!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Outofspace, I'm preparing to do the same mod you did (thanks for the fantastic walk-though btw!), but I have two questions before I start: a) I want to buy those LEDs as they seem the strongest I found (25W sounds good, how strong are yours btw?), but I'm not sure if they will fit, i.e. I will file out the hole, but what about the length? Isn't there a risk they might be too long? And b) can you elaborate on the adapter that let you keep the old connector? How did you manage to make it yourself exactly?

Thanks, much appreciated!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Stansfield those look like some big bulbs :) You'll have to drill a hole to fit those in or you'll have to put the front fog unit itself in the oven to get it open. (Have a search I've read of other people doing this.)
I have those bulbs in amber as my indicators!

These are the bulbs I have:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-High-Power-Xenon-White-LED-Bulb-7-5W-Fog-Driving-Lights-Bulb-Lamp-H1-6500K-/310419775025?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484675de31

It may also me worth concidering these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-25W-CREE-PROJECTOR-LED-FRONT-FOG-CAR-XENON-BULBS-/330894789708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0addcc4c

I managed to fit these with just a pair of pliers but if I did this again I would drill the hole.
The first link are a near match for the 6000K HIDs if you have those too :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stansfield those look like some big bulbs :) You'll have to drill a hole to fit those in or you'll have to put the front fog unit itself in the oven to get it open. (Have a search I've read of other people doing this.)
I have those bulbs in amber as my indicators!

These are the bulbs I have:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-High-Power-Xenon-White-LED-Bulb-7-5W-Fog-Driving-Lights-Bulb-Lamp-H1-6500K-/310419775025?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484675de31

It may also me worth concidering these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-25W-CREE-PROJECTOR-LED-FRONT-FOG-CAR-XENON-BULBS-/330894789708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0addcc4c

I managed to fit these with just a pair of pliers but if I did this again I would drill the hole.
The first link are a near match for the 6000K HIDs if you have those too :)
Thanks Outofspace, I think I'll get the second ones you suggested, 25W sounds good :)

Can you just clarify the thing you did with the adapter? How did you make it? Is it just a wire with spade connectors? It seems to have some sort of housing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just FYI to everyone, I did a bit of research to find out which bulbs are actually the strongest on the market, and found these: 360-degree Shine H1 25w High Power Cree Xb-d Led Bulbs For Fog Lights Or Daytime Running Lights - Buy Cree Led,Cree Led,Cree Led Product on Alibaba.com
They actually use the newest CREE LEDs (XB-D), which are far stronger than the XP-E chips used in previous models (like the ones on eBay).

I'm ordering them right now, together with some new T10 25W bulbs I'm gonna use elsewhere in the car. They actually sent me a new 2013 25W CREE bulbs catalogue (not on their website yet), I can send it to anyone interested.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Just FYI to everyone, I did a bit of research to find out which bulbs are actually the strongest on the market, and found these: 360-degree Shine H1 25w High Power Cree Xb-d Led Bulbs For Fog Lights Or Daytime Running Lights - Buy Cree Led,Cree Led,Cree Led Product on Alibaba.com
They actually use the newest CREE LEDs (XB-D), which are far stronger than the XP-E chips used in previous models (like the ones on eBay).

I'm ordering them right now, together with some new T10 25W bulbs I'm gonna use elsewhere in the car. They actually sent me a new 2013 25W CREE bulbs catalogue (not on their website yet), I can send it to anyone interested.
Yes please, fire it through.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes please, fire it through.
Here you are. Perhaps easier this way: http://mycielski.eu/25w_cree_bulb_from_unipower.pdf

PS. no need to mention the prices are quite different from eBay too :D Shipping is $17 to the EU with FedEx (3-5 days)... Though as usual with orders from China you might expect a customs invoice a few weeks later.. (something like 20% of the value as I remember from my last order, though it depends from country to country I guess)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Here you are. Perhaps easier this way: http://mycielski.eu/25w_cree_bulb_from_unipower.pdf

PS. no need to mention the prices are quite different from eBay too :D Shipping is $17 to the EU with FedEx (3-5 days)... Though as usual with orders from China you might expect a customs invoice a few weeks later.. (something like 20% of the value as I remember from my last order, though it depends from country to country I guess)
Thanks for that.

Keep a eye on JabawokJayUK thread for some new exciting upgrades which are under development and should be available in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will do :)

In case anyone was wondering about the prices, here's my final quote from Apple (that's the sales rep's name, quite appropriate for a tech company :D )

---
2x UP-5G-T10W-CR-25W
2x UP-5G-H1W-CR-25W
Price of4piece white color is $7.8 x 4PCS=31.2$

4x UP-Canbus-T10-5SMD-5050
Price of 4piece white color is $0.581 x 4PCS=2.324$
The value of goods: US$33.524

2> D-blister packaging( $0.3/pcs)
Gross weight Packed in double blister : 0.2kg/pair*4pair=0.8KG

Shipping cost to Belgium of 8pcs packed in blister packaging(by fedex door to door mail service 3-5day arrival) is $21.3
Total amount:US$58.374=$33.524+$21.3+$1.2+$2.35($56.024*0.042)
---

Gonna try to fit the 25W T10 on the front as pseudo-DRLs and the SMD T10s under the doors perhaps.. :)

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
What's the light output and the cutoff pattern of these "fog lights"?
Do they use the existing parabola or a random LED spread?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Cue they are bright enough and use the existing parabola but I can't answer about the cutoff pattern.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just FYI to everyone, I copied the OP's guide but bought the bulbs HTA used in post no.34.

Easy to do, plug and play. Does look nice, but I will note it's not a 100% match to the 6500k HIDs I have. The samsung LEDs I used are more of a super-white, they will however outlast any other LED due to the thermal insulation. You could probably get some cheaper Chinese made COB LED H1s that output a bluer light, but my experience with these types of LEDs is that they will probs burn out pretty quick.

They won't dazzle during the day, they are actually imho a good substitute for the candle-like DRL as standard in the 159 where the W5W bulb is woefully inadequate.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm not sure what is going on here and why so much activity. The Fog Light has a beam pattern for fog. It's a wide thin beam. In intense fog (or falling snow in legal terms) it is designed to create enough low light to maintain progress without putting dazzle back to the driver. In intense fog the normal dipped lights will dazzle. The reflector in the fog light relies on very precise positioning of the bulb. So a random LED source will give less light for its intended purpose.

The type of fog it's designed for is probably only going to happen 1 or 2 days per annum.

But if this post is about turning the Fog Light into a Spot Light then the positioning and reflector design is wrong. So what's happening on this post?

·
Registered
787 Posts
For me I bought new fogs and went for an LED bulb out of choice, given that I've only ever used it for it's intended purpose once, and even then I had to check the bulbs where working afterwards as it made absolutely no difference to visibility, I thought I'd see if I could get good light output (no intention to light the road) out of it whilst matching the white/cool blue shade. I think for those without Halos, a strong bulb in the foglights is a good alternative to the candles for DRL in the W5W bulbs.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
So not a Spot or Fog light? Now a DRL.
In which case it can be used 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset and must extinguish when the headlights are used.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts