Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'd thought I'd share with you all my latest upgrade! It's taken a while as with loads of rain and dark nights I've not been able to get out on the drive to sort things out.

I wasn't happy with the yellowness of the Front Fogs in the first image you compare them to the LED sides and 6000k HIDs. As you'll see the colour match of these LED bulbs compared to the HIDs is near perfect.

Before I started I wanted to see if the Front Fogs were CANBUS or not. I can assure you all they are not! So no need to worry about resistors :)

I bought these H1 bulbs:
Ebay Link

The starting point, Halogens in place

This is how you pry the cover off. Be fairly forceful

There are 3 phillips screws just un-do them and you can take the light out

You can now un-clip the loom connector. I added some more insulation tape whilst I was in there. It seems to get quite wet behind the fogs and the stuff there wasn't very good:

Inside the Front Fog:

These new LED bulbs don't fit through the old hole. I just made the opening larger with a pair of pliers, you could also drill it out!

You'll need to bend the holding clip to with pliers afterwards as well so it fits again.

Unfortunately you also need to change the polarity of the wiring as the standard is the wrong way round for the LEDs. I cut off the small spade connector and replaced it with a large but I wanted to keep the original bulb connector so I made a small adapter.
I got these spades from ebay it wasn't hard to do!

Half done

Complete

iPhone camera isn't brilliant but you get the jist! Night shots:

The LEDs aren't quite as powerful as the old Halogens but they were always over powered by the HIDs anyway! I wanted the colour match more than powerful fogs.

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
I hope you're not one of these idiots that drives around with fog lights on when it isn't foggy

·
Registered
696 Posts
They look really good, a much nicer white light than the originals.

I'm still toying with the idea of fitting some (cheap) HIDs, now I'll have to factor in for these as well.

:)

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've been considering the same thing! In the recent foggy weather the colour difference does look odd! You're look v.smart!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
CraigM, give up with the trolling :rolleyes:

Outofspace, are the front fog lights useable as driving lights if they are a bit less bright?
I know there are optical differences between fog and driving lights, but my front fogs are shagged anyway so I might convert over.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete I think they'd make great driving lights, they aren't dazzling. But they don't come on unless you have the sides on too.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
If they are less bright than the std Halogen bulb, surely that makes them useless as Fog lights...?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
David, the Alfa is my 19th car (I think, grey matter is fading!) and without exception, on every single one which has had fog lights they have proven to be complete and utter shat in the fog. Dipped beams have always been the much better option.

In my experiences they are little more than jewellery.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
They are adjustable and most never will have been!

Best fogs I've ever had were on a Renault Scenic company car, helped a I think by the greater height difference between eye-level & fog light level.

In extreme fog you want Fogs + Sides without the Dip Beam to avoid the white-out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the front fogs bloody useless in the fog! Especially since I put the HIDs in they are great at cutting through it :) I haven't done this sooner as I was waiting for it to get foggy to test this out.

My goal was to match the fogs up with the HIDs and these LEDs look and work great! The night pics don't do them justice they look really good! Even the missus think they look great!

The only benefit I've ever found with front fogs is the low lighting on country lanes. Over Xmas I'll be going out for a spin to see what they're like! I'll let you know my findings ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wish I had read your posting before I ordered the wrong bulbs, the stupid manual said H7's when actually they are H1's I was most surprised when I popped the Fog light out today and there was only one spade connection :eek: well It now gives me an excuse to buy LED's to mach the sides and HID's should look good when fin :cheese:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bit the bullet myself this afternoon, thanks for the guide Outofspace. Image below - I tried to get a photo with the HIDs on as well but camera didn't like it!

I now have HIDs for dipped and LEDs for sides, fogs, puddle, number plate and boot lights!

·
Registered
134 Posts
£4.88 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120962619117?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Could have got them cheaper from China but wanted to fit this year! ;)

As Outofspace says, you need to enlarge the hole (I bought cheaper/dimmer ones than him I think) and swap polarity. Was a half hour job to do both.

I never use the fog lights, and when I do they look horrid against the HIDs/LEDs. As people have also discussed, HIDs cut through the fog faaaar better than fogs in my opinion, so these are purely cosmetic I suppose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alex yours look great too! Glad I was of some help.

Holic I went for high power ones :)
They cost around £25 with delivery. Ebay link is in my first post.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts