Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 159 1750 tbi and everytime I leave the car for more than a week the battery goes completely flat.
No doors open, or lights on, or stereo on.
Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions whats happening.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if it's the same electrics as the 156 but mine used to do that. One of the rear lights was staying on VERY dim after turning the ignition off. Apparently there was a problem with the 'light control unit' (I think that's what it's called). Had that changed and, hey presto, no more problems

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Just had the same problem.
Car is a 59 reg (Oct 2009) 159 Sportwagon Ti 2.0 diesel. Only had it a few weeks but last Sunday went away for half term leaving it parked on the drive. Returned on Friday and it wouldn't start. Whenever you tried to start it the lights all went out. Managed to jump start it (after a few minutes of charging) and then put it on charge over night. After about 24 hours the battery smart charger said it was fully charged again.
Question is, what caused this? Is it a battery issue or something else? Any common problems I need to check for?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Not sure if it's the same electrics as the 156 but mine used to do that. One of the rear lights was staying on VERY dim after turning the ignition off. Apparently there was a problem with the 'light control unit' (I think that's what it's called). Had that changed and, hey presto, no more problems
That was the 156 problem with the 'Lights On' warning light failure. The diode (located behind the warning light in the Rev Counter) failed and allowed a reverse current to flow to the rear light. I think it is physically impossible with the 159 Canbus system.

This 159 problem is more likely to be a stuck switch or relay. The quick way to find it is a Amp Meter on the battery while you pull fuses out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Within the key fob is an old style metal key which is released by pressing one of the silvery 'buttons' near the key ring end and pulling.

If you lock the 159 with this old style key (eg not by pressing the remote central locking button). It apparently locks it and doesn't engage all the alarm circuitry alllowing longer up time when left alone.

The above may help. However if the earlier posts haven't helped you find a current drain it may be that the colder weather is showing up that your battery performance has deteriorated and you may need a new one.

As an aside.The longest life I ever got from an original battery was about 9 years on my old Alfa 164 which had the battery in the boot away from the higher temparatures under the bonnet which generally conspire to 'age' batteries prematurely.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have had the same problem with ours this weekend. Last few times when I've gone to start it the boot has been open. I assumed I'd pressed the boot release button by mistake but am starting to think there is a problem with the boot lock now. Car is a SW so maybe air movement in the boot is setting off the alarm.

How embarrassing though - jumping a 10 plate car with my 166 which is eleven years old next month........

N

·
0 Posts
Check your battery levels.

The 1750s & 2.0JTDMs come with old style
batteries, just remove the retaining strap,
slide the cover then remove each cap and
top up where required.

Mine had a couple of cells starting to be exposed
after only 18 months from new.

·
Registered
873 Posts
And check the badge release on the bootlid/tailgate is working...mine isn't and I'm guessing the flat battery issue is related to this although in traditional Alfa fashion, now that the car has been rumbled and threatened with the dealer it's stopped flattening the battery...:cheese:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does this,had a new batt around 3 months ago,ive parked it for a week without alarm,still same something is drawing a current all the time,any one descovered anything?

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Thankfully, I've not had this problem but have left it on the drive for a week or two many times. Maybe just lucky?

As an aside.The longest life I ever got from an original battery was about 9 years on my old Alfa 164 which had the battery in the boot away from the higher temparatures under the bonnet which generally conspire to 'age' batteries prematurely.
That's interesting. MrsJim's Picasso's battery is still the original after 9 years which is surprising given the cheap materials it is built built from. That's located under the front seat. You might be on to something there.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I noticed the other day that when my kids turned the rear interior lights on while I was driving along that when I came to park up the lights stayed on. What I mean by that is that even after I turned the engine off, go out and locked the car the rear interior lights were still on. I even left it a good 10 to 15 minutes and checked again and they were still on. Is that normal?
Every other car I've owned in about the last 10 years it's been impossible to do something like that as the car automatically turned them off when it was locked.
I'm now wondering if my flat battery issue was just that the kids switched the interior lights on without me knowing and it drained the battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed the other day that when my kids turned the rear interior lights on while I was driving along that when I came to park up the lights stayed on. ...... I even left it a good 10 to 15 minutes and checked again and they were still on. Is that normal?
On my car they switch off after about 20mins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts