Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Posted a few weeks ago about misfires going in fifth gear. It's 2006 JTDm.

Granted, I was pushing it each time but no reason for the engine to suddenly stutter and grind to a halt. Happened again today and had to pull over. Car cut out and had 'Insufficient oil' warning.

As soon as I started again it was all perfect.

I only have the car ONE MONTH and it was serviced before I got it, oil change etc etc. Is it possible (?!) that moving through the gears too quickly/ too high reves can cause this??

Otherwise, it would have to be sensors/valves which means a lot of messing around.

Someone recommended Millers - but this seems a more pressing issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

T

·
Registered
972 Posts
My experience of the JTDM engine is that it positively thrives on being revved - keeps it from sooting up. I don't know how the rev limiter works; could it be that if you're hitting the rev limiter, whatever electronics govern it are misbehaving, causing the engine to die? It's only a guess as I say cos I have no technical knowledge in this respect.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The DPF could be burning and that causes the revs to drop during gear change? Its cut our on me a few times...never fun.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Mine cut out on a trailing throttle and would only restart after trying for about ten minutes. Happened twice. Ended up having the throttle body replaced

·
Registered
95 Posts
Get an Oil change, That way you know its got the right oil in and the right amount.
If its wrong oil to thick or too thin its going to cost you big bux when £20 for 5 litres of semi Synthetic will do the job.

Never trust what people say about servicing, even dealers still put the cheapest nastiest oil they can get away with.

Always had alfas my last one had 140k on it 156 2.0 petrol with no problems for over 7 years
and now a 159 SW 1.9jtdm with 112k on it still sweet as a nut.
But I do all my own servicing and I watch the oil levels.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Evening Jona what oil are you using in your jtdm? what do you recommend?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Get an Oil change, That way you know its got the right oil in and the right amount.
If its wrong oil to thick or too thin its going to cost you big bux when £20 for 5 litres of semi Synthetic will do the job.
JtDm requires fully synthetic 5W40, though I doubt this is the issue in this case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Evening :)
I use halfords oil mostly or havoline as these offer the best value for money, far better replacing the oil more often then using expensive oil for longer.

I use fully synthetic 10W 40 on my petrol turbo Fiat coupe (recommended is 5W but it get's throught the turbo seals after a few month then blue smoke) well know in the fccuk.

semi synthetic 5/10W 40 for the 1.9 diesel 159.

alot of diesel engine experts say use semi synthetic
for high performance petrol engines then fully synth.

Link:Roberts Aerospace and Automotive - Alfa Romeo Servicing and Repairs in Hampshire and on the South Coast

"Some might recommend a fully synthetic oil, but this tends to drain away far too much leaving the top end of the engine starved of lubricant at start up. This is especially true of twin-spark cars fitted with cam variators. Semi synthetic oil has much better cling characteristics and will preserve your engine".

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Evening :)
I use halfords oil mostly or havoline as these offer the best value for money, far better replacing the oil more often then using expensive oil for longer.

I use fully synthetic 10W 40 on my petrol turbo Fiat coupe (recommended is 5W but it get's throught the turbo seals after a few month then blue smoke) well know in the fccuk.

semi synthetic 5/10W 40 for the 1.9 diesel 159.

alot of diesel engine experts say use semi synthetic
for high performance petrol engines then fully synth.

Link:Roberts Aerospace and Automotive - Alfa Romeo Servicing and Repairs in Hampshire and on the South Coast

"Some might recommend a fully synthetic oil, but this tends to drain away far too much leaving the top end of the engine starved of lubricant at start up. This is especially true of twin-spark cars fitted with cam variators. Semi synthetic oil has much better cling characteristics and will preserve your engine".
thanks for that semi synth it is then!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts