Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My uncle has a 159 and got some quotes for a tow bar and all prices came up and over R3500. What made it so ''expensive'' is the relay box to work with ECU. He made his for under R1000.

As most of us know a relay is an electro magnetic switch. Putting it bluntly all you have to do with basic +- knowledge is to take the signal(electricity) of the chosen globe to switch the relay and have a direct voltage source. In the 159's case its the direct source for the CD shuttle or in my uncles case the absence of a shuttle. Don't worry the source is there back left behind the fuse box just lying there. That said wiring diagram 7 trailer wiring diagram 7 way - Google Search for trailer can be found here.

As far as the tow bar itself he didn't want an ordinary looking one. Drill holes through spare wheel casing and bolt onto suspension. He knew the car could take 400Kg with trailer but loaded extra 100kg no prob.

Sorry for not having very good pics but here they are already fitted .
View attachment 127333
View attachment 127334
View attachment 127335
View attachment 127336

Any queries just ask

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Im sure you have valid reasons for putting on the towbar, but still.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! towbar on a 159 :cry:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not finished yet. He's going to make the whole head come off when not using. He wouldn't need a tow bar if he could buy a 159 sw.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a tow bar on my 159 too, but then we tow a caravan. We have a 27ft twin axle job and not wanting a 4x4 my alfa is just the job. 2.4 JTD remapped with the DPF removed gives me about 250bhp - the fastest caravan in my county!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have taken a lot of flack in the past for fitting a tow bar to the GTV and I suppose it will keep coming. Man the car tows a caravan like a dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts