Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new car, preferably a diesel & something that can take the high mileage I rack up (at a minimum 1500 a month)
Currently using my beloved 155 which is getting destroyed by the roads & I wish to take it off the road & treat it better.
Looking at a 159 because if I'm going to be driving an oil burner, atleast one with style. Looking at a sportswagon preferably so I can haul my crap around. Also, alot of car for little money.

So whats the mileage like on the various diesel engines?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i did my research and still am, pick my lusso up on saturday, expecting 40+mpg with my commute

I will also look into getting a DPF delete and remap which many advise give a boost to the mpg of about 10% give or take. Due to me putting 20k+ miles a year on her i think its a no brainer!

I am opting for the 1.9 diesel and not the 2.4 as the 2.4 is five cylinder and more expensive to be worked on, 2.4 is lower mpg and higher insurance cost and my reason for wanting a diesel in the first place was to save money. maybe in a couple of years my next alfa will be a bigger engine but i dont need it for the speed and pull, I have the motorbike for that!

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi alfa diesels are not that economical ,be it a 1.9 or 2.4 unless you drive like a nun, which is a problem with such a good car

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with my 2.4's MPG, but i did come from a Mondeo ST which was giving 45MPG average everywhere i went

A 70litre tank of fuel gets me around 450-500miles, which isn't fantastic. But then again the Q4 system is heavy and thirsty on fuel

DPF/EGR delete will see that go up slightly

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you want 45-50, but a VW Polo Bluemotion and be bored to death

Alfa's are about looking good, feeling comfortable and having fun ;) my drop in MPG has been met with a huge smile on my face with the sound of the 2.4 and the grip in the corners on B-roads

·
Registered
199 Posts
agreed i wanted an increase on mpg and looked around and all the 45+ ers are boring common cars

I thought of a golf but in asda car park i counted 5 when walking back to my car

I bought the afla to have a diesel with reasonable mpg but with great styling!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yup

I get 34-36ish 'average' (but the regen completely wrecks that figure on a weekly basis)

But the poke is great, and as said, with decent tyres it's sooo grippy it's like it's on rails!

You won't get 45-50 from an alfa oil burner..

Good luck on your hunt tho! (I tell you what would probably do that, either the giulietta or the mito..as the petrol seemed v economical when mine was last in for repair..but i couldn't live with the giulietta's dreary exhaust note..and the seats not right, and theres nowhere to put your left foot)

·
Registered
359 Posts
in my 2.4d am averaging 36mpg, if you want better mpg misses has a Citreon C3 16v 1.4d that is getting over 55mpg including a lot of town driving, the 159 averages in the high 20's in the town :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
I get around 36mpg with the 2.4 but suffer a few regens as the 20 mile trip to work can be quite slow. Then again I didn't buy a 2.4 Alfa with fuel saving in mind!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
agreed i wanted an increase on mpg and looked around and all the 45+ ers are boring common cars

I thought of a golf but in asda car park i counted 5 when walking back to my car

I bought the afla to have a diesel with reasonable mpg but with great styling!
May I suggest a GT 1.9 JDTm? You may need the space in the back, but if you don't , they'll do 45 to 50 OK, and the cloverleaf comes with a fair amount of poke as well. The 159 is a very heavy car, which kills the mpg. The GT is considerably lighter. You'll also find them to be cheaper secondhand, as most have a couple of extra years on the 159.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My 1.9 remapped averages around 45 but I dont do much town or stop start driving and on a motorway run over 50mpg.
I've found with the remap including dpf and egr removal it has so much torque you dont need to rev it even when you want to shift.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you want 45-50, but a VW Polo Bluemotion and be bored to death

Alfa's are about looking good, feeling comfortable and having fun ;) my drop in MPG has been met with a huge smile on my face with the sound of the 2.4 and the grip in the corners on B-roads
I agree :thumbs:. i think we can all agree you can't beat the germans in the economy game but they are too boring and too common, kind of like a no brainer - buy with the head.anyone who has one talks about numbers which for some can be difficult to quantify. in the styling department you surely cant get better than the 159 and we all know you buy with your heart and where emotions are concerned anyone who understands those can relate to them you cannot quanitfy them but feel the buzz. it turns heads as well as makes you smile and what a smile it is. i have a 1.9 and i get anything between 44 and 50mpg on trip computer, calculated might be higher.

i don't regret parting with my hard earned cash and anyone who says Alfa's are unreliable i tell them gently "you're just jealous i have a better car" ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi cant squeeze any more than 41 42 out my JTDM gt and i do a 20 mile commute every day mostley on A19 was hoping for 44 45 .

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm getting 34 on a 1.9 do 32 miles a day third is motorway, not sure if this is bad,good not that bother really as the car is something special, this morning I got a nice little message says, drive carefully there is a possibility of ice on the road.. Haha love it

·
Registered
41 Posts
32-34 mpg real world based on mainly motorway with some A road commute. if i kept the revs minimised it would be 35 long term average i reckon but where's the fun in that

1 - 20 of 37 Posts