Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done a thousand and one times, but I thought I would add my findings over the past 24 hours.
My 1.9jtdm has done 72K miles and in an unmapped state, at the moment.
I filled with Esso standard diesel yesterday morning on the way to work. I drive 11 miles to work through the stop-start traffic of sunny Birmingham, I have to travel from North to South of the city.
After the refill yesterday I reset Trip B as always. I decided to see what the car would do if driven in a very calm and controlled manner. So, making sure I changed up a gear before or on 2K revs, using the gears to cruise to a junction rather than brake, leaving enough room between myself and the car infront to keep my car moving as much as possible and not rushing from each junction/lights, the computer reads 42.4mpg this morning!
Not bad at all really.
Now I know there will be people saying that the computer is not 100% accurate, but I have done enough brim to brim calculations to believe this one.

The downside is that it can be a little dull driving this way! But also rather calming, especially on the way home last night after a carp day at work.

I know some will never be able to drive this way in the 159, but it goes to show that Alfas figures are almost achieveable in the real world.

Having said that, I am sure that by the end of the week I will be back to mid/late 30mpgs due to enjoying the car far too much.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Did you nod off during the eco-drive :confused::p

42mpg is a distant dream for me :lol: But hey ho - 34mpg aint bad considering my driving ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just done 600 mls in my 159 with the new 2.0 Jtdm, very impressed indeed very smooth engine, quieter than the 1.9 from cold and coupled with the body having been on a diet the car seems much more nimble

Trying to keep the car at a steady at 70mph the computer is saying between 49 - 54mpg With cruise control i find little difference in the figures although easier to keep it at 70, back and for to work (12.6mls in total) i am getting on average 36mpg about the same as my 155 MiTo. At 80mph + it is saying in the low thirties 32mpg or so

Being a diesel there is a big difference in the time the engine takes to warm up, I am almost in work when the thermostat opens compared with being half way there with the petrol MiTo this will have a effect on the fuel use, if I worked further away i would no doubt get 45 or so mpg.

very impressed all round, much improved car after the diet and another great Alfa diesel engine

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you nod off during the eco-drive :confused::p

42mpg is a distant dream for me :lol: But hey ho - 34mpg aint bad considering my driving ;)
I think it has happened at the same time as me tuning to Radio 2 in the mornings, hmmm, wonder if I go back to Radio 1 or Kerrang I will speed up again! Preparing for middle age before I am 40, sigh.....

G

·
Got a trip meter reading of 27mpg on yesterday's long (400km)
run cruising at 135km/h with some 150kph runs and very
aggressive 0-130 mph acceleration going through toll booths.

Very happy. :thumbs:

And I don't have to put the Devil's fuel in it for that either. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,847 Posts
As a fuel economy thread has been started I'll just add this. Tank to tank I get 37 - 38 mpg, thats running on regular quality diesel with Millers added. Interesting thing though, just before Christmas, lots of occasions where I left the car 'warming up' in the morning, I also drove the car 'very' enthusiastically (had great fun) and the economy was still over 36mpg tank to tank. So restrained (ish) driving only saves me 1 or 2 mpg at best. Incidentally the A computer says 42.7 mpg.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What i have heard is according to Alfa they have fitted aluminium brake calipers, lighter alloys and seat frames and have saved over 100lbs in weight?

G

·
I think the 2.0 is 1490 kg.

The 1750 is 60Kg lighter.

Both way less than the 2.4 and it's wapping
lump of pig iron in the front at 1635kg

G

·
What i have heard is according to Alfa they have fitted aluminium brake calipers, lighter alloys and seat frames and have saved over 100lbs in weight?
Any weight saving took place way back in 2008. MY2008 models had moderate weight savings.

Allegedly 35-40 kilos depending on model, the changes were mainly to suspension components, hollow anti roll bars, lighter wheels etc., to save unsprung weight.
They seem to claim that they make their wheels lighter each year, which means they must be made of tissue paper by now.

159 1.9JTDm Saloon
Kerb Weight 2005-2007 1525 kg
Kerb weight 2008-onwards 1490 kg
159 2.0 JTDm Saloon Kerb weight 1490 kg

(Comparable weights of competitors - Audi A4 2.0Tdi 1460kg/ BMW 320d saloon 1505 kg/ VW Passat 2.0 TDi 1457 kg/ VW Passat CC 2.0 TDi 1466 kg/ Mercedes C200 CDi BlueEfficiency 1505 kg)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm driving very conservatively, changing up as soon as, not revving the nuts of it and struggling to get 34 mpg average with mine, it has 14,000 miles now. Mixture of town traffic (not stop start queuing as I've left the rat race behind), and motorway at 70 mph. I've put two tanks of Redex in as well since I got it early Jan. Whilst it hacks me off when people get a new car and out of the box say it doesn't give you the manufacturers mpg,
(engines do need to run in), this one has done 14,000 and I was hoping for 40 ish mpg.
Might I have a problem?

·
Registered
972 Posts
A downside to driving a modern diesel too gently for too long is that the engine/injectors/EGR get clogged up and the engine starts feeling very lethargic. As has been said, driving enthusiastically doesn't have that much effect on the economy, but it does save potential garage bills when the EGR clogs up. Just my opinion obviously..... :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Am more impressed with the Jaguar XF Fords AJ-V6D GENIII engine,
3.0 Litre Desiel V6, 275 BHP, 0-60mph in 5.9 Sec
179g/km (simillar to a 2.4jtdm) and does a combined of 42mpg (similar to a 1.9jtdm)

Engine efficiency is developing big and fast :)

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,847 Posts
and does a combined of 42mpg (similar to a 1.9jtdm)

Engine efficiency is developing big and fast :)
Is that real MPG (tank to Tank) or what the computer says?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wish i had the luxary of finding out for myself.
They 'advertise' Urban: 30mpg, Extra Urban: 51.3mpg, Combined: 41mpg.
Even if you knock off 2 or 3 mpg from those figures its still amazing for a V6 3.0 litre

I knock off 2 or 3 because from what Alfa advertise for thier 1.9jtdm and what i get from my 1.9jtdm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being a diesel there is a big difference in the time the engine takes to warm up, I am almost in work when the thermostat opens compared with being half way there with the petrol MiTo this will have a effect on the fuel use, if I worked further away i would no doubt get 45 or so mpg.
Glad you noticed this too!!

My current diesel gives me about the same 'harsh urban', ie short journeys in traffic fuel economy as a number of v6 petrol models I've owned!!! Yet on a run there is no comparison.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts