Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i m looking at buying a 159 and there is one in a dealer near me. Its a 2006 159 1.9 jtd 16v sportivo (irish car) 6 speed. How practical is the 159? I have a 6 year old kid and a 4 month old baby and was wondering if the 159 is a good bet. I would prefer a sportwagon but they are very rare in ireland north/south. What goes wrong with the 159? What to look out out for i.e do injectors give trouble, clutch/flywheel, etc give trouble, Its got 116,000 miles on the clock. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi i m looking at buying a 159 and there is one in a dealer near me. Its a 2006 159 1.9 jtd 16v sportivo (irish car) 6 speed. How practical is the 159? I have a 6 year old kid and a 4 month old baby and was wondering if the 159 is a good bet. I would prefer a sportwagon but they are very rare in ireland north/south. What goes wrong with the 159? What to look out out for i.e do injectors give trouble, clutch/flywheel, etc give trouble, Its got 116,000 miles on the clock. Any help would be great.
159 is a saloon, so boot space can be quite limited compared to a hatchback although it's a fair size. Interior isn't massively spacious but can easily fit 4 6"+ people in it, so no complaint's there.

Things to look out for:

Cold start issues / smoke with lumpy idle: Just walk away from these. (This means anything from EGR to sensors to AIM / Injectors, it's painful and expensive).
Pre-heat not available (Glow plugs / relay / electrics)
Clutch Judder and whine on higher mileage models:
Steering whine and correct fluid (Generally should be green (Tutela GI/R)
Low turbo pressure, check the boost gauge.
Rattles and scathe from the likes of CV joints / suspension.
VDC / Hillstart and lights and obviously engine management lights.
Service history for these are a must, water pump / cambelt every 60K - 70K.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Nice choice, it's a good looking car. Whilst I do not have a 159 I know of someone who does and he says it's a nice car to look at (obviously) and drive. I'm only 5'9 and found the rear of the car to be a little cramped, however it may be fine for a 6 year-old and a baby. The 159 also has a 5-star NCAP safety rating so your children are in a safe place. Boot space is decent in the saloon but the Sportwagon has a good deal more, see what you think from the pictures on the Parkers site: -

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon (06-11) Car Review - Summary | Parkers

See if there is one for sale locally so you can arrange a viewing. As for mileage, a well maintained 1.9JTDm 16v (the only engine I've experienced) should prove reliable. Mine is still solid at 70,000 miles, as you have a GTV you may already be used to weekly oil and fluids checks, just to be on the safe side. Like the petrol engines, the diesels do use oil. Also if you can, check the suspension by pushing down on the front wings, squeaking or knocking could indicate a front wishbone issue.

Check for the usual suspects such as full-service history, timing belt/water pump replacement and ask about any previous repairs. For example, a clutch replacement on the diesel engine can cost the best part of £1000 because the dual-mass flywheel usually has to be replaced too. Parts in general tend to be slightly pricey. You could start a thread asking about Alfa parts suppliers in Northern Ireland. I've had experience with two suppliers which are AlfaWorkshop and Shop4Parts and these guys do post to N. Ireland.

The electronics have proven to be reliable (on my 147 anyway) but check everything works nevertheless. The 159 has a good selection of trims, the Lusso trim is very nice and it is surprisingly hard-wearing.

AlfaWorkshop have good buyers guides which will let you into any known issues with the car and also give you pointers when purchasing. I've detailed a few but the 159 guide on their site is far more comprehensive and should clue you in to any problems. They also have a classified ads section which you may find useful.

Link: Alfa Romeo 159 Buyer's Guide

I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with your purchase.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
159 buying sdvice

Hi thanks for your replys. Will ask the seller all about timing belt/water pump/ clutch dmf etc . I have read the alfa workshop buying guide which is very helpfull. They mention the swirl flaps which i know give trouble on bmw. How do you know if a dmf is on the way out? Is there a noise/ vibration? My mondeo would not start because the dmf was dropping fillings onto the starter and you would think it was the starter but it was actually the dmf breaking up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
159 buying advise!!

If you going to do high miles buy the later 156, whilst it may not be as nice of a drive, it will cost you a fraction of the maintenance costs.

I bought my 156 with 90'000 miles on and parted with it with 250'000
I bought my 159 with 60'000 miles on and done 135'000 to date and the 159 has already exceeded total maintenance spend of the 156

Both were 2.4's

I would like to add in defense to the 159, the problems I faced probably are a thing to come with all newer diesels due to bull regulations with DPF's etc etc.

Lusso + Specs also do give you luxury motoring cheaper than other prestige brands, with the added benefit they are far better looking, so everything needs to be weighed up in you decision

1 - 5 of 5 Posts