Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa 159 1.9 16v JTDM 2007

So I hit something in the road about a month ago that smashed (not cracked!!) a hole in my sump pan. No real drama RAC collected car, new sump sourced and fitted no probs.
Last week the turbo decided to go but as car has 128k miles I thought it was about due and the sudden loss of oil from sump may not have helped. Again turbo sourced and fitted all good.
Sunday night on way home from night shift car died on me suddenly. Getting my monies worth out of RAC they took car to local garage, who diagnosed faulty crankshaft sensor P0335fault. New sensor fitted but worryingly the old one had a chunk missing from it! Car still wouldn't start with new sensor and P0335 fault still there. On investigation the mechanic has found a piece of what looks like the toothed wheel (part no. 46471843) that the crankshaft sensor picks its signal up from in the sump. May have been unseen damage from sump episode?? Sump coming off tomorrow for a closer inspection but it looks like a new one will be needed!

My question is has anyone come across a broken toothed wheel before? And can it be changed by removing gearbox, flywheel, crankcase end cover rather than engine out and crank removed.

Appears it just bolts to crankshaft after main first bearing from flywheel.

Oh and I haven't bothered doing lottery this week with my run of bad luck!!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Its a crank out job from what I've seen. So that's a box, clutch and flywheel off job.

IMG_1246.jpg

Not sure on yours but mines not toothed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the beauty!! Yes sorry 'toothed wheel' is the part description on Eper, its more slotted than toothed.
Might be easier to remove the engine and box from car to remove crank?
Cheers for picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts