Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

I have a problem with my 20007 159 which I've been living with for 2 years now. In the mornings when it's cold the climate control seems to blow very warm air (sometimes stifling) even when set on 16 degrees. This does settle down when the interior is up to temperature, but it's ridiculously hot air coming out when the cabin is not near the desired temperature.

It's rather annoying as there is no middle temperature setting, and when I first bought the car I set the temp to 21 (same as my Audi a6) and after 5 mins almost boiled to death and had to open the windows to cool the interior down.

I now live with the temp set at 16 degrees and am constantly switching between "LO" and 16, I rarely adjust the temp above 16.

On my commute to work (28 miles) after 15 miles the cabin is then nicely at an even temp and the air coming out of the HVAC is what I'd expect. A friend has recently got an 2011 Guilletta and this doesn't perform like this so I'm thinking something definitely wrong.

I'm thinking a sensor is at fault somewhere, is there a roof interior temp sensor? It feels like the HVAC cannot tell it's too hot until the warm air reaches the sensor on the HVAC control unit, at which point the car interior is much warmer than the set temp and only then the heat is turned down from the HVAC and the temp in the car starts to settle.

My A/C needs re-gassing (not sure if this has any bearing) and I do have Multi-ECU scan.

Any help appreciated as this is getting a bit annoying now. My initial thoughts lead to some sort of roof temp sensor failure? Or could it be the one with the fan on the control unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that the sensor works, but it's faulty. Why exactly, I don't know. It also sounds like it would be on the back windshield seeing how it takes so long to recognize the correct cabin temperature.
Yeah it certainly seems like a sensor issue, I'm just trying to define which one and locate it so I can possibly test it or at least replace it.
I was thinking there may be a sensor within the map light/switch console on the roof at the front, but as you say at the rear there may also be one. My car is a SW if anyone can advise on the sensor locations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah it certainly seems like a sensor issue, I'm just trying to define which one and locate it so I can possibly test it or at least replace it.
I was thinking there may be a sensor within the map light/switch console on the roof at the front, but as you say at the rear there may also be one. My car is a SW if anyone can advise on the sensor locations.
The interior sensor could be behind the grill to the right of the rear-window-demist button. I believe there is a tiny fan that spins behind it to push ambient air over the sensor.
that or the fan is there only to cool the climate control unit :depressed:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Is your pollen filter clean?

The sensors are in the centre console, near the dials. Two small holes with a mesh insert.

Page 61 of the manual.

They do get gunged up and need cleaning out, either with a cotton bud or a little air, not compresses, try a drinking straw to blow the dirt out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? My Ti has just started doing the same thing!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Right, I think I've found out what was causing this issue. Aircon gas was very low. Had the system serviced this morning and it's now running as I'd expect it to. Wish I'd known this before shelling out for a brand new control unit!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I think it is needed to split problems if any.
If airco fixed at 16 degrees automatic and temperature is lower than that airco would heat it.
The question is where to take hot air at cold car from at morning cold start ???... Nowhere...
I am sure the car is equipped with so called PDS heater ( electrical ) which generate hot air from start and switch off than engine become hot. It could be checked with ePER by dedicated car VIN code.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
This is interesting as my heat doesn't come on at all till 3-4 mins after starting from cold ?
It then does as described blows silly amount of hot air and you need to open the window then it settles down???
If the car has been driven 1-2 hrs before I dont have this problem :scratchchin:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I think the electrical heater ( if I read the manual correctly )is only on certain model but not sure if its trim level,enginge type or optional extra.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
PTC heater is standard option could be ordered any BuiltToOrder car add on price. I have seen even petrol cars equipped this options in a spite of both it is called "for diesel" and no much practical use for petrol since it worms much faster. Attached spec is posted for example only how it looks like. This heater performs like a hair dryer and my message is there are no any source to get hot air from the cold car other than that.

X8 - 159 MY11 (2010-2011)
140CWE301000 - SW 2.0 JTD CF5 S.PLUS 6M 170CV GS I/CE
Engine: 6737256 Vehicle: 07243228 Manuf. date: 20/9/2011

DISPLACEMENT (COMMER.) 1956 CF5 (CC2.0)
POWER 170 HP 2.0 JTD CF5 (KW125)
DRIVE LEFT (GSX)
BODYWORK TYPE STATION WAGON (TCSW)
FUEL DIESEL (CMBDS)
TRIM LEVEL SPORT PLUS MANUAL (LL2)
(ASPIRATED/TURBO) TURBO (A/TTRB)
DRIVE TYPE 2 WHEEL DRIVE (TT4X2)
EMISSIONS LEVEL EEC LIM. STAGE 5 (ECOCF5)
MARKET TRIM LEVEL ITALY/CENTRAL EUROPE (AM00)
MODEL YEAR YEAR 2009 (MY09)
NO. OF CYLINDERS 4 CYLINDERS (NC4)
TOTAL NUMBER OF VALVES 16 VALVES (VLE16)
12 V POWER SOCKET Yes (823)
3RD REAR HEADREST Yes (511)
ADDITIONAL CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM Yes (204)
ALLOY SPARE WHEEL WITH NORMAL DIMENSIONS Yes (982)
ALLOY WHEELS EXTRA SERIES 15 Yes (5ER)
CAR ABBREVIATIONS EXCLUSION (DISCOUNT) Yes (879)
CONVERGENCE C1 WITH MEDIA PLAYER JACK Yes (4J3)
CRUISE CONTROL Yes (416)
ELECTRICALLY FOLDING OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRRORS W/ MEMORY Yes (58J)
ELECTROCHROMATIC OUTSIDE/INSIDE REARVIEW MIRRORS Yes (525)
EXTRA SERIES 1 PEDAL UNIT Yes (4CS)
FOG LIGHT Yes (097)
GAS DISCHARGE HEADLIGHTS Yes (230)
GEARBOX 6 M Yes (076)
GERMAN LANGUAGE CUSTOM. Yes (4FV)
GUIDE IN GERMAN Yes (853)
HEADLIGHT WIPERS Yes (102)
HEATED FRONT SEATS Yes (452)
HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE PASSENGER SEAT Yes (454)
HI-FI AUDIO SYSTEM Yes (718)
INFRARED REFLECTING WINDSCREEN WITH DARKENED ANTI-DAZZLE BAND HEATED IN WIPER AREA Yes (57J)
KICK PLATE Yes (018)
LEATHER SPORT SEATS Yes (788)
LOAD COMPARTMENT PROTECTION BLIND Yes (104)
LUGGAGE HOLDING NET Yes (762)
MAP RADIO NAVIGATOR WITH TMC PRO Yes (5VZ)
MISTING DETECTION DEVICE Yes (385)
OBJECT HOLDING NET Yes (51J)
PAINT EXTRA SERIES 3 Yes (4SA)
PAINTED EXTERNAL REARVIEW MIRRORS Yes (976)
PARKING SENSOR Yes (508)
PARTIAL SHRINK-WRAPPING Yes (928)
PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG DEACTIVATION Yes (4DK)
PASSENGER SIDE KNEE BAG Yes (151)
PROTECTIVE MATS Yes (396)

PTC HEATER FOR DIESEL Yes (52Y)

RAIN SENSOR Yes (347)
REAR ELECTRIC WINDOWS Yes (023)
SD CARD FOR NAVIGATOR MAP OF EUROPE Yes (5JW)
SIDE SKIRTS Yes (926)
SMELL SENSOR (AQS) Yes (384)
SMOKERS' KIT Yes (989)
SPECIFIC EXHAUST PIPE Yes (947)
SPECIFIC EXTERNAL REARVIEW MIRROR CAP Yes (4YD)
SPECIFIC EXTRA SERIES ACRONYMS Yes (773)
SPECIFIC INSTRUMENT PANEL 2 Yes (4RQ)
SPECIFIC ROOF 1 Yes (4GS)
SPEEDOMETER Yes (050)
SPLIT REAR SEAT Yes (195)
SPORT TRIM Yes (377)
SPORTS STEERING WHEEL Yes (321)
TINTED WINDOWS Yes (070)
TPMS (TIREPRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) Yes (365)
TRANSPARENT SEPARATOR BETWEEN PASS.COMPARTMENT AND TRUNK Yes (183)
TRIP COMPUTER Yes (48F)
TYPE-APPROVAL VERSION 1 CHANGED Yes (854)
VARIAT. OF COST FOR CONVERGENCE C1 W/ MEDIA PLAYER PORT (OPT. 4J3) Yes (5VN)
VEHICLE DYNAMIC CONTROL (VDC) Yes (392)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My car was displaying the exact same symptoms as the OP. It was very low gas. System refilled, now operating correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts