Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I've been trying to get a full service with cambelt/waterpump change for my 159 jtdm 2.4 as it now has 85k, however it seems here in Bristol they're not capable of doing this!
At 1st i tried a couple of recomended non alfa garages to save money but none seem able to give a price. So i tried calling the new alfa garage who after 2 days still can't give me a price because they seem to think you have to remove the engine to change the cambelt!
Is this right???? I have the 210hp
I've now booked it in at motormech in birmingham who gave me a good price for cambelt, service and dpf removal.
Does anyone know them? they seemed quite confident and use original parts so i guess it should be ok!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Motormech should be fine.

You can do it without removing the engine, but you need to have perfected the technique of removing subframes and mounts tobshift thenengine over a bit to get in to do it, as the pulleys almostbtouch the front strut section of the inner wing.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
You certainly don't need to remove the engine to replace the cambelt on the 2.4 JTD 20v, on that basis you may wish to avoid this dealer - if it's an official Alfa dealership perhaps a complaint to ARUK may be deemed worthwhile as well:rolleyes:

Don't know motomech but Autolusso South (Bournemouth) are very good, if you can get there. When you get the job done make sure you change the idle bearing as well as cambelt/tensioner/waterpump, also make sure the coolant is replaced with the correct red stuff at 50/50 ratio. There is a cambelt kit for the CF4 on JTDs which includes the idle bearing (Alfa Romeo Part Number 71754559).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wessex appear useless so far for service or parts to date. Simonstone will give you a price without faff but it wont be cheap. I've always used autumnbrooke in north bristol. They've done belt changes on my gt and mates147. They are decent guys and knowlegable, good value too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys, motormech did mention the idle bearing so i assume they know their stuff. as for wessex, yeah they are the new alfa dealers in bristol but i'd much prefer to travel a bit an get it done properly than trust them with my pride an joy!
whereabouts is autmnbrooke in north bristol? i know there's a guy on gypsy patch lane, stoke gifford but i've been told he's very expensive.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, to be fair friends have had great dealings with then on other brands, they just dont appeae to have been upto speed with alf
a after sales.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Give Duncan Slade / Alfanet a call - top bloke and will give you a sensible quote for it. He's based near Fishponds, 2 minutes from Machine Mart. Haven't got a number handy but I'm sure it's on this forum somewhere, or just give Alfanet themselves a call.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, motormech did mention the idle bearing so i assume they know their stuff. as for wessex, yeah they are the new alfa dealers in bristol but i'd much prefer to travel a bit an get it done properly than trust them with my pride an joy!
whereabouts is autmnbrooke in north bristol? i know there's a guy on gypsy patch lane, stoke gifford but i've been told he's very expensive.
Guy in patchway runs at main dealer prices from what I've heard. Autumbrooke are by the windsurfing lake just outside Bradley stoke.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Motormech should be fine.

You can do it without removing the engine, but you need to have perfected the technique of removing subframes and mounts tobshift thenengine over a bit to get in to do it, as the pulleys almostbtouch the front strut section of the inner wing.
I know Motormech very well. I've used them for 10 years + on all my Italian cars which include 3 Fiat Coupe's, an Alfa 156, GTV and now my 159.

Paul (the boss) really knows his stuff and I'd never let anyone else touch the oily bits of my car. Luckily for me they're only about 25 miles away. :)

James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done an dusted!!!!! went to motormech an had full service, cambelt and dpf removed and to be honest couldn't be happier! I must say, paul really looked after me. due to the amount of work i needed i was given a bargain price. the cambelt/waterpump were done with all the original tensioners and bearings, the service was done with what i can only describe as a total love for these cars! I don't praise people lightly, but when they lube an grease every hinge an catch of your pride an joy you're gonna be thankfull! with the dpf removed and the remap she's a new girl. It was a 165ml round trip for me with 32mpg average there and well over 40mpg back!
I know you can get 10/15% more hp an torque from the remap but it may cost you twice as much so it's up to you an your budget to decide, me, i'm one happy bunny and i will go back again for further services in future......just won't take the missus or stepdaughter, not with the bullring shopping center right next door!!!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
They're a top bunch who are true enthusiasts themselves. My GTV is going in at the end of next week for a partial engine rebuild. I know it will come back sweet as can be...

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts