Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,052 Posts
The one and only one I replaced was plug and play....no programming required. Its just a reader that sends info to the ecu that checks the info is correct before it allows the car to start. That info is in the ECU....not the reader. Might be different on later ones I guess as this car was a 2006 model. Why do you think you need a new one?....they are pretty reliable and non starting issues are usually elsewhere......but never say never....these are Italian electrics we are talking about after all!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one and only one I replaced was plug and play....no programming required. Its just a reader that sends info to the ecu that checks the info is correct before it allows the car to start. That info is in the ECU....not the reader. Might be different on later ones I guess as this car was a 2006 model. Why do you think you need a new one?....they are pretty reliable and non starting issues are usually elsewhere......but never say never....these are Italian electrics we are talking about after all!!!
Think I got a touch of Italian gremlins. Driving along normally, radio cuts out, alarm sound and steering wheel and key symbol. Stop car, remove key, reinsert key and restart car normally. Vehicle protection!!!

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,052 Posts
Sounds like the common bad battery ground scenario to me....all too usual on these cars. Can cause all sorts of ignition and sensor related issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the common bad battery ground scenario to me....all too usual on these cars. Can cause all sorts of ignition and sensor related issues.
coincidence?? This only stated happening 2 days after getting car back from all injectors out and recoded.
No previous electrical problems. good battery >Mes says canbus wiring. U1602 I have to agree with you that TEG reader will do just that, read. But several outside people says they need recoded on fit. Dont see how you can do that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sounds also a bit like a steering lock ECU malfunction - the vps message and steering symbol point to that - the steering ecu is coded to the cars chassis number and also functions as the immobiliser-metal box located on the column.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts