Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are interested my 159’sbrighets did not work.
After localizing the fault to the stalks I initiated the disassembly which with most cars turn into a throw away and get a replacement set task.
The 159’s turned out to be robust and easily repairable.
I am not going to say a lot but her is picks and if you have questions feel free to ask.

All back together and working perfectly the stalk pulled out of the bright bar.

Reactions: Bjarning

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi turbo, i have a problem with my lights when i turn right indicator on it sometimes turns my main lights of onto sidelights ,not good i am going to have to get a new switch,how hard was it to do i am guessing it requires dissable airbag and the like, thanks tony

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes disconnect the battery.
Remove steering wheel covers.
Remove the airbag by inserting a flat screwdriver into the holes on the back of the steering wheel and twisting them 90 degrees.
Carefully remove the airbag wires.
From hear on it is easy.
Unplug the connectors in the steering wheel.
Loosen the steering wheel and pull it off.
Make sure that the slip ring alignment pins are aligned and remove the switch unit.

Important do not reconnect the battery while the airbag is disconnected.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hi Turbonutters, just wanted to say big thanks for your post, lost my fast wipers and normal speed wipers were very tempramental so was about to buy a new stalk unit (as I was told they would be a sealed unit) but thanks to your post I now have everything working again.
Cheers mate
Stu

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad it helped:thumbs:

·
Registered
135 Posts
just wondering how you fixed the switch, was soemthing disconnected? my front wiper (pull) switch seems to have stopped working (no fluid and the wipers dont move) but the up down operation is fine. rear washer all works ok so wondering if it might be the stalk switch.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
There are 2 'slider' connections in there, the up and down one and the one that controls the pull. Mine had stopped but were just dirty, when I cleaned the connections they worked fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok thanks. i'm assuming there is only 1 washer pump and the fact that the wipers dont work when i pul the switch means the stalk switch is the likely culprit. also i probably dont have to get wet and cold to take it off and clean it unlike the pump in the reservoir

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It would certainly be my first port of call if nothing on the pull function worked :)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
You will probably work it out for yourself but I have taken one of Turbonutters pics (hope you dont mind) and have highlighted the bits you need to clean. Area 1 is the slider that works from the up and down movement of the arm and area 2 is where the pull switch is.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
legends thanks guys :thumbs:
got as far as taking the cowling off tonight, might wait till the weekend and daylight to do the airbag and steering wheel as it looks a bit of a faff. have mes so should be able to reset airbag lights if i bugger that bit up. hope its not a new switch unit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ffs! between the italians and the germans this is the most fiddly finger slicing job in the world!
gradually got to the point ive released the retaining band for the stalks but there's some kind of invisible non accessible clip catch that is holding me up. just can even see it, never mind get to it at the moment
got the airbag out no probs, thought i was on the home stretch but that was the easy bit, lots of fiddly connectors to remove in close proximity to lots of sharp edged pieces of metal.
deep breath, off to try to find some fabled clip to remove the damn thing. taking photos as i go so might document it...

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
:lol: keep at it bud, you know she's worth it.

Just think of it this way, next time you will know exactly what to do.

Saying that though, I dont remember seeing an invisible clip on mine, but then I wouldn't have would I ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
its off, hope the clip isnt important is its not there anymore...
cleaned out all the gunk and fluff, switches back together after a bit of faffing, will put it back on the car in the morning and check if its a broken switch or it just needed a clean and a hug. thanks for the encouragement, awkward job imo as you might have gathered :(

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
well done, fingers crossed thats fixed your issue :thumbs:

Must admit I didnt find it too fiddly myself but then i've worked on quite a few alfas over the years and built a few kit cars where I've had to make up my own electronics systems so i'm probably used to it by now :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
all back in and working again :)
went back together in ten minutes with no agro. Think it was just all the wiring clips behind the wheel that i couldn't find the releasing method for, resulting in a few sliced fingers and general irritation! much easier 2nd time round, hopefully never need to be touched again! thanks for the guide and help :thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi. I'm considering replacing my stalk unit as my lights are now always on and the menu button isn't functioning. Indicators, wipers and all other functions seem to work fine. I've got the option of a unit from a breaker for about £40 or a new unit for approx £120. Is it simply a case of following the steps shown below and fitting the new unit. Does anyone know if there any need to 'program' the new unit to work or is it 'plug and play'?

Yes disconnect the battery.
Remove steering wheel covers.
Remove the airbag by inserting a flat screwdriver into the holes on the back of the steering wheel and twisting them 90 degrees.
Carefully remove the airbag wires.
From hear on it is easy.
Unplug the connectors in the steering wheel.
Loosen the steering wheel and pull it off.
Make sure that the slip ring alignment pins are aligned and remove the switch unit.

Important do not reconnect the battery while the airbag is disconnected.

·
Registered
428 Posts
hi sorry to resurrect this thread but I have a problem with the side lights being always on, so I think it must be the switch actually in the stalk itself, once off can you disassemble the stalks themselves ?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.