Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thinking of chopping in my 147 for a Brera - but can't decide whether to go for Red or Black?

My 147 '02 is Alfa Red - but has suffered terribly with oxidation.

Anyone here with 159/Breras with fading/oxidising red bodywork?

Or have alfa bucked their ideas up with regards to spraying now.

Thanks

John

N

·
0 Posts
Brera has to be Black.

Otherwise you get a two-tone job with a black glass roof and spoiler
and the rest of the car in the other colour.

On my Brera the (unsprayed/repaired :eek:) panels looked fine after 3 1/2 years.

;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Make sure you keep any red car well waxed. That should help prevent fading. Actually that goes for any colour.

N

·
0 Posts
Make sure you keep any red car well waxed. That should help prevent fading. Actually that goes for any colour.
Well supposedly Alfa Red doesn't fade and they
charge the same as metallic because of this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most Breras are probably a bit young to get an idea of fade, but from my own experience, chipping of the Alfa red on Breras seems to be more of an issue than other colours!
There's a few previous threads on this exact topic - some of us have had respray work done under warranty, and some others are in dispute with Alfa over the same thing. Maybe not exclusively, but certainly a large percentage are the red ones.

C

·
0 Posts
Loads of history on the red ones chipping, when shopping for mine I saw two that were atrocious. No reports of fading.

Black ones look pants IMHO unless they spotless, though you will enjoy it for the 3 minutes it stays clean.

Dark grey looks lovely, and I'm really happy with my silver, matches the front calipers / silver wheels nicely.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wax my car pretty much everytime its washed - and still got fade.

Mainly from the bumpers though, but i've got some oxidation on the metal paint work which is kinda crap.

Red is such as gorgeous colour though on an alfa - its a pitty it doesn't stay the same shade all its life!

N

·
0 Posts
Black ones look pants IMHO unless they spotless, though you will enjoy it for the 3 minutes it stays clean.
Rubbish.

The Reds gets just as filthy, except it shows up the black dirt alot
whilst the black shows up the white crap more.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My twopenneth................

Have a Misano Blue one with Natural Leather :thumbs:

You know it makes sense :lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
RED!!!!!! it should be a law....RED RED RED RED RED RED RED RED.....Alfa's should be RED!
On a serious tip though.
My red 159 has got quite a lot of stone chips on the bonnet. I wanted one of those black leather aprons for it but know where seems to do em for 159/brera.
Can't comment on fading as mines only 7 month old.

N

·
0 Posts
Red is fine. So long as it's not two-tone with black.

If you have a very early tintop non-skyview Brera: Red is good.
If not, then Black it is! :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Red is fine. So long as it's not two-tone with black.

If you have a very early tintop non-skyview Brera: Red is good.
If not, then Black it is! :D
Aaaahh...Nev, I understand now.....Yes, I can see how that would look pap on a Red one :thumbs:.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Not sure how much of the fade is due to the fact that paint sprayed onto metal and plastic fades at different rates? My 2003 147 is the same, red on the body, going toward pink on the bumpers......and I've bought a 159 the same colour too!

N

·
0 Posts
Not sure how much of the fade is due to the fact that paint sprayed onto metal and plastic fades at different rates? My 2003 147 is the same, red on the body, going toward pink on the bumpers......and I've bought a 159 the same colour too!
147 Alfa Red is "normal" common Alfa Red.

The special super-duper bloody expensive fade-free Alfa Red
only arrived with the 159/Brera/Spider.

;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Brera has to be Black.

Otherwise you get a two-tone job with a black glass roof and spoiler
and the rest of the car in the other colour.

;)
Exactly the reason I went for Black on mine, notwithstanding the fact it looks mustard too! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts