Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just want to know the opinion/experience of those who have a 159, and use the back seat (i.e. kids, passengers)

After weeks of convincing my misses that the 159 was THE choice (as opposed to the Mondeo...), we sat in the back of a 159 at a dealer. It became apparent that the space at the back is pretty tight! Not only that, but the angle of the back seat seemed rather vertical, meaning you are seating up really straight, with your head almost ahead of your knees. Well, not quite, but gave that feeling...

So she is really not chuffed with this, particularly the lack space, as she currently drives the new Mondeo and that has stacks of space, everywhere... To me, I sort of don't care so much, as I won't be sitting back there, but then I think, is this something I should worry about?

Do you guys have the same feeling, or is it just me? Is it possible to adjust the anlge of the back seat??

Hoping to seal the deal within 2 weeks! :):):) (Can't wait to get it!)

Cheers!
Saltin

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The rear of the Ti is fine for 2 but leg / knee is a little tight unless the front seats forward. I think the GT is better in this department and our neighbours C4 is limo like by comparison but we hardly ever use the car 2 up let alone 3 or 4 up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fit 3 kids car seats ( 8, 6 + 3 yr olds ) across the back no probs:thumbs:

Took 4 other adults on a 300 mile round business trip last week and they all commented on how comfortable it is:thumbs:

Tell your mrs it'll be fine;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers! that is a comfort to know... I don't expect we will be having adults at the back very often, but never know... As long as the kids are fine...

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think it is tight for the class of car its in, people always mention it when looking over the car "not much room in the back", i tall as well so i have to have my seat far back...

Its poor to say "its ok for kids" in this type of car....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that it's poor to say that, but I also bear in mind its a "design" car. And as it goes with design things, they tend not to be as functional as other options. Take a look at the iPhone. It is gorgeous, but would you want to have it in your pocket? (size-wise), probaly yes... but only cos it looks nice...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the rear space in the 159 is ok?
It's comparable with all the others in it's class with the exception of one or two:confused:

Rest assured as far as kids are concerned it's more than ample, if your taking adults it's as good as an A4, better than a 3 series not quite as good as a Mondeo. Hmmm don't think I would go for a Mondeo over a 159 for the sake of a couple of inches:eek: :lol:

U

·
0 Posts
The 159 is not generous in rear seat space, but its not really intended to be, and it is comparable with most sports saloons. Kids travel most happily in something like a Renault Scenic, where they can hide their toys and pencils in the underfloor lockers and play hide and seek between the individually foldable chairs. But then they need to be entertained because the journey won't just take longer than in the Alfa - it will also feel longer :)

Mondeo and Vectra/Insignia are great for families, whereas the 159 is "snug" in the back. Suggest you make your choice and keep telling them to stop whining in the back. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies/feedback/opinion!

159 it is! :):):)

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I find the back seats in the 159 a bit 'snug', but they are no more so than the BMW 3-series. Anyway, that's not what I bought it for - and my 3 year old's car seat's in the front passenger seat anyway:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think the 159 loses out to its rivals on this one. The Mondeo is hard to beat for space, but my Volvo S60 is a big car, and it's got no more rear leg room than a 159.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The Mondeo is a bigger car on the outside too and cant disguise its bulk.

With the Ti, there is les room as tseats are bulkier, but the other models are class competitive, more room than the 156!

....but yes, the 147 is roomier due to the higher roof.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Mondeo is a bigger car on the outside too and cant disguise its bulk.

....but yes, the 147 is roomier due to the higher roof.
The Mondeo feels like it has less room for the driver though, in the one I test drove it wasn't possible to arrange the seat and steering wheel in such a way that stopped my knee hitting the cruise-control knob every time I used the clutch.

The 159sw has much more headroom than the saloon, it's far more practical and IMHO it's a better looking car. The rear seat also feels like it isn't as upright as the saloon too, but I don't see how that's possible. FWIW I'm 6'4" and my eldest lad is 6'3" and we can both sit comfortably with me driving and him behind (we did 750miles in a day back from France a few weeks back with no comfort complaints), but then it probably helps that my seating position is more rally than F1.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good man:thumbs:

As they say "you only live once!" So make the most of it:thumbs:
Yep!! Getting it in 2 weeks! Just cannot wait!! I am living a dream!!:D

D

·
0 Posts
Why don't you get a Phase 3 GTV? Bags of space.

Literally. Bags. 2 x shopping bags.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can at least now say from first hand experience that although it is not the most spacious of places, the space in the back seat it is absolutely fine!!

Cheers everyone! I am finally enjoying a decent drive! ;););)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
late to this thread and you have the 159 now - congrats :thumbs: I have my 3 year old in her car seat behind me (I have my seat fairly far back) and my 2 year old behind my wifes seat (she is much smaller then me). On longer journeys I tend to put my 3 year old in the front seat as she get a little car sick and she really enjoys watching daddy drive and my wife is fine behind my seat. It is is snug back there, our Gold has more room but hey ho I'd rather have the 159 :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Have a look at the euroncap.com website and you will find that the 159 has amongst the best of safety records for infants and children, somewhat better than the Mondeo. That should appeal to the mother of your children.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts