Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's me again with another quirk from my metal girl.

I've noticed today when driving at night that dipped beam is really dipped, and main beam is also lower than usual.

Arriving to the parking place, I've stopped the engine, took the fob out. Placed it back so the lights can go thru the normal adjustment cycle, but, they did not. They tried actually because I've seen the beam moving a little down on the factory wall and kinda vibrating. It lasted for a second or two then they moved tiny bit up and vibrating stopped.

It is safe to say that auto adjustment system is faulty, but, I cannot say if it is hardware or software problem.

Anyone had this problem? How was it solved?

Any ideas?

Help is very much appreciated, as always.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
You can recalibrate the levelling system using fiat ecu scan. Ive done it a couple of times after disconnecting the battery leaving the xenons beam pointing dangerously low. It would also be worth while checking the levelling sensors to ensure they are connected. They are located on the front and rear near side suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Its worth mentioning if u do need to recalibrate and do it yourself using fes then you need an additional adapter... Green i think

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Had a similar problem a few years ago with a Saab 9-5, the sensor on the suspension had gone, causing the system to keep the lights at their lowest setting, as a fail safe.

Maybe this has happened? Although I did get a dash error message as well, have you had this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nop, no dash errors of any kind.

anyway, i've tried to look for the loose wire but so far haven't seen anything abnormal.

called the garage and will go in on thursday or friday, guy does not know yet when he will have an empty hour or so.

i just hope that it is nothing expensive like new pair of headlights because of dead actuator or something... should the worse scenario happen, is it possible to manually adjust the height and keep it this way?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is worth it to check if the adjustment machines for the Bi-Xenon are not broken.

It's a common problem when is not handled with care. On LHD cars the machine is on the front left wheel next to the upper wishbone looks like a small suspension rod and the second is on the diagonal rear side. On RHD cars it should be on the right front side and the other machine is on the rear diagonal side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes yes yes, djraceman! i have found it. sensor has plastic arm which is connected to small metal rod with two ball end connections. this balls rusted and plastic arm coming from sensor broke.

i've ordered new metal rod, 14euro, and unfortunately plastic arm must come with a sensor, 95euro. but, i am happy as it is not actuator in the headlight itself or something more complicated.

parts will arrive at the end of next week so i will fix it soon. until then, i've found out that if i push the plastic arm upwards max, lights calibrate high max and that is just ok. i cannot say how long it will stay up but i can push it upwards again.

thanks for the help! very accurate as usual!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The sensor with plastic arm in my car broke a week ago...May I know what is the exact part number? Where to get this arm?

Thanks & Cheers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry gurjit, i don't have a clue. ordered via official alfa garage.

i can, however, ask them for the part numbers from the rod and sensor. i expect the parts to arrive to the end of next week. will ask when picking up and will let you know, if it is not too late for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can recalibrate the levelling system using fiat ecu scan. Ive done it a couple of times after disconnecting the battery leaving the xenons beam pointing dangerously low. It would also be worth while checking the levelling sensors to ensure they are connected. They are located on the front and rear near side suspension.
[/CITAT]

how to restore the beam up after restoring the battery?

the lights shine down

and why the lights go down after turning off the battery?

does it have a fuse for the headlamp - relay connected to the headlamp motor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts