Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with stone chips????
I knew that Alfa red chipped easily though so I wasn't too concerned.
I ordered my touch up paint and set about it today as there's already a few on the bonnet.
FFS...you'd think Alfa could get the colour right:wow:. It's flippin' miles away from 289A :mad:
Anyone else had experience of this?
Am I doing something wrong in my touch up methods?
Has anyone any handy tips on doing this crucial job?
Chris.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Alfa red is rubbish
Looks good, but only for a few weeks (until you drive it!)

Mine bonnet looks like a spotty teenager... The lacquer is even peeling in places (that's another topic on this forum...)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfa red is rubbish
Looks good, but only for a few weeks (until you drive it!)

Mine bonnet looks like a spotty teenager... The lacquer is even peeling in places (that's another topic on this forum...)
Yeah I know....I couldn't find it like. You gotta link?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 08 Afa Red 159 is going for a respray next week.

The chipping is unbelievable and theres only 25k miles on it. The bonnet has at least 100 chips whilst the rear wheel arches are beginning to look like they're turning white with the number of chips.

Took it back to dealer to check if under warranty but they didn't want to know however its a company car so the lease company has now authorised it to be fixed via the insurance.

Got to say, if I was spending my own money I would be kicking up hell with Alfa but don't have to now.

I really believe this is a manufacturing issue and would love to know if anyone has successfully claimed for excessive chipping under warranty.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If it's any consolation, Alfa's 130R B/B touch up paint is a mile off:rolleyes:

I use Mitsubishi Palma Red.

The paint appears harder than the new stuff though which is really surprising, especially as you now pay for the privilege:tut:

·
Registered
831 Posts
went today to the the local paint shop to respray my car because the stone chips and the 'spider web' scratches it got.
30k km and less than a year and it looks like a 10 year old car. unfortunately I won't paint it rosso competizione as I originally intended, because it's a color very hard to take care :(

anyway, the guy there at the paint shop was shocked to see how thin the paint layer is and said he never saw such a bad paint job in 20 years and he said it's most certainly because of a poor painting process, not because of the paint itself.
good part is that here the insurance covers the paint chips and scratches and I don't have to claim warranty from the alfa dealer.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
My 08 Afa Red 159 is going for a respray next week.

The chipping is unbelievable and theres only 25k miles on it. The bonnet has at least 100 chips whilst the rear wheel arches are beginning to look like they're turning white with the number of chips.

Took it back to dealer to check if under warranty but they didn't want to know however its a company car so the lease company has now authorised it to be fixed via the insurance.

Got to say, if I was spending my own money I would be kicking up hell with Alfa but don't have to now.

I really believe this is a manufacturing issue and would love to know if anyone has successfully claimed for excessive chipping under warranty.
Mine's had a complete respray under warranty after 7 months and 13k miles.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I read about a very simliar problem that Honda drivers were having, especially the newer Civics in red. The paint was chipping ridiculously easily.
Seems to be something to do with the water based paint? As with Alfa, Honda were saying there wasn't a problem.
Having had 3 black saabs in the past 4 years I am pretty adversed in the art of stone chip touch up! Will probably never have a black car again because of it.
My current car, 2007 159, is in amazing condition considering it has 61K of motorway miles on it. Barely a chip to talk of. It is in Stromboli Grey, or however you say/spell it.

Still making me grin....

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Must be something to do with the shape aswell. The GFs Bravo is Maranello red (the dark red one) and after 45k miles there are only 1 or 2 chips. They do say it is "lenticular" paint though, whatever that is!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I came to show you my MiTo Veloce courtesy car today Paul.....your mate saw her instead. lol.
Not sure where yoo were. Your mate didn't give any hints when I asked him.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My current car, 2007 159, is in amazing condition considering it has 61K of motorway miles on it. Barely a chip to talk of. It is in Stromboli Grey, or however you say/spell it.

Still making me grin....
Mine too, both the paint and the grin. My car is quite a bit younger than yours, but no chips at all so far, either the front or by the rear wheel arches. Slightly biassed of course, but I think Stromboli is just about the best colour on a 159.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I was in a meeting. He did mention he was drooling over the MiTo. I said wait until he saw the 159!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine too, both the paint and the grin. My car is quite a bit younger than yours, but no chips at all so far, either the front or by the rear wheel arches. Slightly biassed of course, but I think Stromboli is just about the best colour on a 159.
:vomit::p

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe thats a 15,000 pound option though :lol:

*edit* I wonder how much a touch up pen would be :lol:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hear; hear!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts