Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa 159 in for MOT and service, permanent airbag light means a failure.

I have trawled the forum for potential remedies, but still cant put my finger on it and neither can the garage.

All 6 airbag wiring looms have been checked.

New pretensioner fitted to drivers side due to being shorter than passenger side.

ECU scan carried out and codes removed but reappear once engine is turned off and started back up again.

I have been informed that 12 warning codes appear and are all airbag related, but once removed, reappear when the engine is turned off and restarted.

Does any one have any serious recommendations as to what it could be? I'm getting the feeling that it could potentially be something pretty stupid, of all things, which is causing these warning codes to remain, as I just do not think a single failed airbag would cause these multiple warnings on the ecu scan.

Your advice and recommendations would be hugely appreciated, as I have been without my car for 3 weeks! due to this problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sounds like a dodgy air bag module. Other than that i cant see it being a problem with the airbags themselves as long as the resistance on them is ok. These values only really change if the bag is blown or the wiring is dodgy...check for water damage to the ecu (unlikely)... it is usually located in the centre console near the gear lever or the handbrake. HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a dodgy air bag module. Other than that i cant see it being a problem with the airbags themselves as long as the resistance on them is ok. These values only really change if the bag is blown or the wiring is dodgy...check for water damage to the ecu (unlikely)... it is usually located in the centre console near the gear lever or the handbrake. HTH
Thank you for your recommendation, this is just the answer I was hoping to receive. From what I can assume based on the numerous airbag related fault codes that are occurring, and solely airbag related fault codes, I have to agree with you, it has to be a broken airbag module.

I mean, if its not, I truly think I will be up **** creek without a paddle as I think I will be left with no option but to replace the whole lot (airbags, sensors, ecu's) etc.

However your advice has prompted me to go ahead and source a replacement airbag module, with everything crossed, I'm praying it will solve the problem.

I will keep you updated on my progress, however, any other suggestions would be most welcome. Cheers!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Loads of threads on this if you use the search function.

My first port of call would always be the connector under the seat

This one came up:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/918778-air-bag-light.html
Ordinarily you would be right. However in this case the OP is having an issue with all the airbags. If a seat connector is loose, it will only throw a code for that seat, not all the airbags, tensioners etc. That is the case on most cars and cant imagine the Alfa being any differrent.

In this case i'd be inclined to believe the module is faulty.

If you are local to birmingham i have a 159 module spare if you need to check...

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts