Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Airbag failure warning light has come on in my 2007 Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM.

With MultiECUscan I get the following description of the failure:

The Passenger Airbag Disabled- indicator light/circuit has a defect. Check it for opens, shorts and weak connections. Verify the light reacts correctly to the switch selection. MAKE SURE that the switch is returned to the position the vehicle operator expects it to be.

FOLLOW THE AIRBAG DIAGNOSTICS SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!!
WARNING: Improper access to the Airbag circuitry may cause the Airbag(s) to deploy or malfunction later, which may result in serious injury or death.
DO NOT MEASURE OR CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE AIRBAG SIDE OF THE CIRCUITRY without consulting the appropriate service literature first. Follow the local regulations concerning Airbag system repairs
The reason for this fault is that ECU has received very high signal from the sensor. The fault is present now. Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault. Dashboard warning light was not activated for this fault.

I have attempted to delete the error but it is not possible. I have tried to change the interior light unit (where the airbag exclusion light is located) but this made no difference. I checked the connections to the ECU and the passenger airbag switch and cleaned all connection, but the failure is still there.

Any other suggestions? Should I replace the ECU?

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
I had a similar intermittent "airbag failure" warning light manifest on a late model 2.4 with some similarities to yours, passenger airbag. Under warranty they replaced a whole chain of parts (specific airbag, controllers etc) which was finally resolved when they found a faulty connection to the ECU. Although clean, it may pay to have a really close look at the pins, connectors to the pins etc for any loose fitting.

There is also a relationship between the airbag diagnostics and seat belt pre-tensioners which can cause airbag failure warnings, under the passenger seat are the cable harnesses for these i believe

good luck, check the cabling with a fine tooth comb first (multi meter)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a similar intermittent "airbag failure" warning light manifest on a late model 2.4 with some similarities to yours, passenger airbag. Under warranty they replaced a whole chain of parts (specific airbag, controllers etc) which was finally resolved when they found a faulty connection to the ECU. Although clean, it may pay to have a really close look at the pins, connectors to the pins etc for any loose fitting.

There is also a relationship between the airbag diagnostics and seat belt pre-tensioners which can cause airbag failure warnings, under the passenger seat are the cable harnesses for these i believe

good luck, check the cabling with a fine tooth comb first (multi meter)
WARNING: Improper access to the Airbag circuitry may cause the Airbag(s) to deploy or malfunction later, which may result in serious injury or death.
DO NOT MEASURE OR CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE AIRBAG SIDE OF THE CIRCUITRY without consulting the appropriate service literature first. Follow the local regulations concerning Airbag system repairs :paranoid:

I would be just a bit concerned about using a multimeter towards the airbag....Just a little warning as a multimeter sends out a testcurrent to be able to measure :paranoid:

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
DO NOT MEASURE OR CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE AIRBAG SIDE OF THE CIRCUITRY without consulting the appropriate service literature first. Follow the local regulations concerning Airbag system repairs :paranoid:

I would be just a bit concerned about using a multimeter towards the airbag....Just a little warning as a multimeter sends out a testcurrent to be able to measure :paranoid:
disconnected from the airbag of course, testing the cable on its own

of course all procedures must be implemeted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.

I have checked the cable running from the ECU to the interior light unit. The connection is fine.

I have tested the LED itself with a battery - works fine. I have tried fitting another ECU. Same error. I checked the cables under the passenger seat and cleaned the connectors. No difference.:irked:

Any suggestions to what to do now? :depressed:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts