Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reposting this as I posted in the 156 area by mistake.

Hi all, I have a 159 3.2 v6 with about 5000 miles on the clock. I just went out for a little errand and when I got home I saw that there is a small but significant (maybe 100 ml?) pool of pinkish liquid on the garage floor, which I presume is coolant/paraflu. The header tank is a little low, and now that it's parked I can see that it is slowly dripping from the bottom of the engine bay, about 80 cm or so back from the front of the car. Inside the engine bay there is no obvious leak anywhere.

I presume it's a problem with the rad or a split hose or something like that, but I'd appreciate your expert knowledge / experience in case it's something more serious. So, are there any common coolant loss problems on the 159? Will I be ok to drive it to the local garage (providing I top up before I make the journey)? Any other thoughts?

cheers
Pirran

·
Registered
650 Posts
the only common problem is a tiny crack in the expansion tank, which only shows itself once the coolant is hot.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Get the torch out and have a good look for the source of the leak.
The puddle on the ground won't necessarily line-up with the source due to the undertray.
If it's from the radiator, pouring in some Radweld has worked for me in the past, and lasted at least a couple of years (it was still fine when I sold the car).
As Dazman5 says though, the expansion tank is more likely to be the culprit - I've read a few threads about it when I had a mysterious coolant loss situation recently.

There shouldn't be any problem driving it to the garage if it's only a couple of miles or so - the engine won't get warmed-up enough.
If it's not local, just do a few miles close to home to see how bad the ccolant loss is - keep a very close eye on things and take some water with you just in case.
You'll then know whether the car's likely to make it without you getting too stressed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
had a leak on ours turned out to be loose clip on one of the pipes.still loses a little .is this split in the expansion tank in a seam?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Dazman - it all looked dry at the top end and around the tank but I'll have another look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Lussoman - I already had a good look "topside" and couldn't see anything obvious. Underneath you're quite right - it's dripping from the edge of the undertray I think. Luckily the garage isn't far away so I'll take it in the morning and get them to lift her up and have a look.....though I am off now with a torch to check the header tank once more!

Cheers guys

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 3.2 rad was holed in the bottom right hand corner due to old age (90k miles) but there was very little coolant loss and most dripping was hidden by the undertray. I only realised whan I had the front end off for major surgery - not too bad a job to change and rad was about £80 IIRC

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks No Grip. Well mine is practically new so I doubt it's age related - more likely a stone or something like that? The problem I have is that in Tunisia parts are a major pain to get hold of, so fingers crossed it's a hose or something like that.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dazman - you got it right mate - it was a hairline crack in the header tank. Took the tank to a bloke who does "plastic welding" and he bodged it as shown below to tide me over.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

Now I need to order a new header tank from the UK (or elsewhere) to be delivered out here to Tunisia. Does anyone know a good supplier / the part number? Are the header tanks all the same for 159s or do they differ according to variant?

thanks
Pirran

1 - 11 of 11 Posts