Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest, today was 6 months since I picked up my 159, so I thought I'd write a review on how I've got on.

Model - 2010 159 TBI TI. Name - Ilaria

Exterior looks and Styling - Stunning in one word. Nothing in the 'Executive saloon' class gets anywhere close to how pretty this car is. Its sweeping lines, perky rear end, those headlights. I thought she was a looker. I didn't expect people to be cranking their necks as I went passed, which has happened on a few occasions. 10/10

Interior looks and styling - It's well directed at the driver. The three gauges all aimed at the one in the pilots seat. It's all classy as soon as you get in. I will say that the stalks are a little plasticky, but I'm willing to look past that. 7/10

Practicality - Seeing as I'm single, I haven't' really had a chance to explore its full practicality usage. Having said that, I comfortably got in the boot and had my picture taken. So the boots well sized. Providing your not too tall, the back is well spaced, and there is plenty of storage space. 8/10

Ride and Handling Seeing as it's rolling on 19's and has sports suspension, it's quite comfortable. A real cruise car. Sit back and look awesome as you rack up the miles. However when you ask to perform, boy does it. I drove a few competitor cars before deciding on the Alfa (C Class coupe, 3 series M sport, Octavia VRS). None of them handle or grip as well. For a car that feels so muscular when you put your foot down, it dances when shown a few successive corners. The LSD works wonders. I can physically feel it shifting the power or braking the inner wheel when it needs to. Brilliant. 10/10

Performance - Touched upon this slightly in the last paragraph. That engine is just wonderful. It's got a bit of a bad rep for not sounding particularly 'soulful', but again I quote like it. When cruising it's quiet, but if you do drop the boot and seeing as I'm 22, I do that quite a lot, it has this lovely growl between 1700-2300rpm, which is especially apparent with the window down. In terms of how it goes. Quick. Straight line is will keep up with the 3 series and Octavia. I'd argue that i's better in the corners though. It's real advantage is the availability of torque all through the rev range. Maximum torque available at 1400rpm means is really punches out of corners. 11/10

How does it make you feel?? - I've well and truly fallen in love with her. From the moment I saw her on test drive. I never used to believe in the "not a petrol head until you've had an Alfa", but there is definitely something about them, and indeed my own. I don't care about the low MPG compared to its rivals, or the tax or anything like that. That car puts such a big smile on my face. I know I'm quite young but it makes me feel like a kid all over again. Like when I first played Gran Turismo as a 4 year old. As an executive saloon? Maybe not the best. To expensive to run, too harsh etc etc. But I get the impression that when Alfa entered that specific market, they did is a bit half-arsed but also a bit on purpose. It's a drivers car dressed in a sharp Italian suit. No executive saloon car needs 19inch alloys, sport suepension, a boost gauge or an obnoxiously loud turbo coupled with a dump valve. A quiet recirculator valve would have done the job, but where is the fun in that?. The boost gauge and Turbo are by far my party pieces. That dump valve makes me feel like I'm playing Gran Turismo 2 again (anyone who has played that will know what I mean). This car splits the room somewhat, but in my eyes, it's got a soul. It's a proper Alfa. She's perfect, she's mine, and I genuinely love her. 11/10

·
Registered
161 Posts
As the title suggest, today was 6 months since I picked up my 159, so I thought I'd write a review on how I've got on.

Model - 2010 159 TBI TI. Name - Ilaria

Exterior looks and Styling - Stunning in one word. Nothing in the 'Executive saloon' class gets anywhere close to how pretty this car is. Its sweeping lines, perky rear end, those headlights. I thought she was a looker. I didn't expect people to be cranking their necks as I went passed, which has happened on a few occasions. 10/10

Interior looks and styling - It's well directed at the driver. The three gauges all aimed at the one in the pilots seat. It's all classy as soon as you get in. I will say that the stalks are a little plasticky, but I'm willing to look past that. 7/10

Practicality - Seeing as I'm single, I haven't' really had a chance to explore its full practicality usage. Having said that, I comfortably got in the boot and had my picture taken. So the boots well sized. Providing your not too tall, the back is well spaced, and there is plenty of storage space. 8/10

Ride and Handling Seeing as it's rolling on 19's and has sports suspension, it's quite comfortable. A real cruise car. Sit back and look awesome as you rack up the miles. However when you ask to perform, boy does it. I drove a few competitor cars before deciding on the Alfa (C Class coupe, 3 series M sport, Octavia VRS). None of them handle or grip as well. For a car that feels so muscular when you put your foot down, it dances when shown a few successive corners. The LSD works wonders. I can physically feel it shifting the power or braking the inner wheel when it needs to. Brilliant. 10/10

Performance - Touched upon this slightly in the last paragraph. That engine is just wonderful. It's got a bit of a bad rep for not sounding particularly 'soulful', but again I quote like it. When cruising it's quiet, but if you do drop the boot and seeing as I'm 22, I do that quite a lot, it has this lovely growl between 1700-2300rpm, which is especially apparent with the window down. In terms of how it goes. Quick. Straight line is will keep up with the 3 series and Octavia. I'd argue that i's better in the corners though. It's real advantage is the availability of torque all through the rev range. Maximum torque available at 1400rpm means is really punches out of corners. 11/10

How does it make you feel?? - I've well and truly fallen in love with her. From the moment I saw her on test drive. I never used to believe in the "not a petrol head until you've had an Alfa", but there is definitely something about them, and indeed my own. I don't care about the low MPG compared to its rivals, or the tax or anything like that. That car puts such a big smile on my face. I know I'm quite young but it makes me feel like a kid all over again. Like when I first played Gran Turismo as a 4 year old. As an executive saloon? Maybe not the best. To expensive to run, too harsh etc etc. But I get the impression that when Alfa entered that specific market, they did is a bit half-arsed but also a bit on purpose. It's a drivers car dressed in a sharp Italian suit. No executive saloon car needs 19inch alloys, sport suepension, a boost gauge or an obnoxiously loud turbo coupled with a dump valve. A quiet recirculator valve would have done the job, but where is the fun in that?. The boost gauge and Turbo are by far my party pieces. That dump valve makes me feel like I'm playing Gran Turismo 2 again (anyone who has played that will know what I mean). This car splits the room somewhat, but in my eyes, it's got a soul. It's a proper Alfa. She's perfect, she's mine, and I genuinely love her. 11/10
What a stunning review, enjoy the next 6 months with her!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts