Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think anyone else has raised this one, so will be interested to receive feedback.

I have a 2007 3.2 V6 Q4 with 12,000 miles on the clock - bought it used a couple of weeks back - and love it.

However...

When I first started it at the dealers it was warm and sound just fine.

I drove it 600 miles home - with a break over night. When starting cold the next morning, it sounded alarmingly tapetty - and stayed that way for around 5, maybe 10 minutes until the oil warmed up - and then sounded fine.

Now, every time I cold start, I listen to the clatter, wait for it to go quiet - and wonder how healthy it is.

Interestingly, it sounds far worse inside the cabin than from inside - even dropping the window or opening the door significantly reduces how noisy it is in the cabin.

The previous owner reckons it has always 'buzzed' when cold - and he never worried about it.

The local agent here (Auckland) isn't too interested - reckons some are noisier than others - although I suspect that anything that involves warranty work is probably not taken too seriously until you start jumping up and down about it.

I am keen to know if anyone else has experienced this - and whether I should keep trying to find a fix - or just live with it.

Car has just had a service - if anything oil is slightly too high on dipstick - so can't blame low oil...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The solution to your problem is to bring your car to the Alfa Romeo Owners Club evening at the Commerce Club, 27-33 Ohinerau St in Remuera, tomorrow (Tuesday 17th June) from about 7pm onward. Turn up a bit earlier and grab yourself dinner there if you want.
Actually this might not solve your problem, but you'll be about the first person to show up in a 159 and we'll all get to have a look if it's not raining. Then we'll sign you up and bring you to see a private Maserati collection later this month.. ;)

-Ben

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - some progress...

Turns out the Christchurch dealer I bought the car from has seen this before - and spent lots of $$$ trying to find out what causes it.

Apparently... It is a high pressure fuel pipe/pump resonance - and the buzz can be stopped by a bit of isolating rubber.

As I am a long way from Christchurch, they are going to tell the Auckland dealer how to fix it - and hopefully soon the buzz will be gone.

I will update in due course...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And a PS to Ben NZ - thanks for the invite to the AROC evening. Will try and take you up on it...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds more like oil supply, or lack of it to certain components? Hydraulic tappets, valve timing variator, or other such 'dry', bits with clearance? But what would I know? Nowt' really.:D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
And a PS to Ben NZ - thanks for the invite to the AROC evening. Will try and take you up on it...
It would be good if you can come. Club email says:

Meet at 6:00pm for Drinks
Dinner at 6:30pm (cheap and casual meals)
Meeting starts at 7:30pm.
Richard Fairey - guest speaker. He is the former managing director of Moller Motors the Alfa importers and has association with Jaguar Triumph and Citroen.

Wander in whenever, and see if you can pick the crusty Alfa owner group from the rest of the patrons. ;)
Don't be surprised by only a handful of Alfas in the parking lot, most of the regulars seem to only have Alfa track cars (and we need the other kind of Alfa owner!). Also be warned you may be accosted by the treasurer chasing $3 for a raffle ticket. Usually the prize is a bottle of wine, but basically we use the raffle money to offset the room hire charge. You may be able to repel said treasurer by explaining you're not a club member yet, but I make no promises!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Mine (2.2JTS) sounds similar to your description on cold start up but only for a few seconds:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Four weeks later an update. Car went into local (Auckland) dealer - and apparently has a noisy power steering pump. They say it is a recall item - and I have the car back - still noisy at start up, awaiting parts from Italy. I would be interested to know if any other 3.2 V6 159s have had a similar experience - and will update once the new part(s) are installed...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Certain motor, just had a tiddle/fiddle with, follower chatter on start up. Oil in sump recommended 5/30. Drained, in with 10/40, has run fine now for a few hundred, with no rattle.Simple as that, in this particular instance.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have absolutely no chatter when I start up,even below zero,I use Selena 10 60 racing oil.Your car should not do it either, unless it is a direct injection Turbo Diesel.Make sure Alfa fix it for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my previeous car the 156 TS 2.0ltr this noise was called the diesel effect cause it is like the noise of a diesel engine when it starts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, power steering pump parts have arrived from Italy and the car is booked in for next week. Will await results with interest...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update...

Well, car had it's power steering pump bits replaced - and still rattled on cold start. Now starting to get seriously upset.

Car has been to dealer for a third time with instructions to sort it out.

Now they say it is a loose exhaust component rattling when exhaust is cold, that stops when pipe expands with temperature.

Sounds reasonable enough, but of course it requires parts to come from Italy and for me to book car in for fourth time.

Will keep you posted...

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts
My 156 V6 sounds dead tappetty when I start it up - but its not tappets, its a tiny little leak on the rear bank exhaust manifold where it joins the block. Its tappety for 5-10 mins until the exhaust gets hot.

From a cold start, stick your head down the back of the engine. If your eyes start to sting from the petrol fumes, its probably a leak on the rear bank. Alternatively, it could be a leak from the front bank manifold.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Pud237 - I think I might have needed your help a few months back, because I think my problem might be similar - even if the 159 V6 is kinda different from the original :)

Truth be told, I think I preferred the V6 in my 156...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts