Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When collecting my 159 from Lipscomb yesterday I was told that the 2.4 is more than likely going to be dropped sometime next year and replaced with a tuned version of the twin turbo 1.9 from the Saab 93, for better emissions and fuel economy. Shame really as I like the 2.4 and if I get another 159 it would have to have the 2.4....

I know this has been talked about for some time but this is as official as it gets for now I think.....

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mention of the V6 derv, only the 1.9 twin turbo....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The GM / Vauxhall V6 turbo D like in the Signum is a great engine. Perhaps a tad too refined for an Alfa but a good starting block for sure:)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Is that necessarily a bad thing Flapdog? I understand that the ttid engine is very good though I've never actually driven one.

I didn't go for the 2.4 as it would have killed me on the company car tax. An extra £150 a month.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
isn't there talk of a 2.0TD with 2 power outputs too :confused:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that necessarily a bad thing Flapdog? I understand that the ttid engine is very good though I've never actually driven one.
Nor have I, and for company car drivers (who I suspect make up the majority of new 159 purchases) I suspect it will be a good move. My own experience of the 1.9 sinlge turbo (albeit in an Astra) was not good. The Saab puts out 180bhp iirc so not a huge amount, and not particularly fast, as someone at work had one for a while, but I suspect from what I was told the Alfa version will have more power.

The noise of the 5 pot is what will be missed for me, the emissions make no difference for me as a private buyer.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
AFAIK the SAAB has 180bhp and 400Nm torque and the Alfa tuned unit should be 190bhp................if they do it.

There are lots of rumours about:

Some I have heard:

1. the 1.9 JTTD will sit alongside the 2.4 JTDm (which may have a power increase)

2. The 2.0 TD will come in 2 power outputs but the 2.4 JTDm will still stay and there will be no 1.9 JTTD

3. the 2.4 JTDm will be killed off and there will be just the 2.0 TD engines

4. the 2.4 JTDm will be killed off and the will be 2 2.0 TD(150 bhp & 200bhp +) and a 1.9 JTTD (190bhp)

:confused:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
That 9 3 engine is good on fuel though :)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
32,440 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts