Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.

ok so I have a few queries in this thread...

I had a remap a few years ago, egr blanked (in the remap but not physically blocked) and dpf removed, and on its first mot afer the remap struggled to get through emissions.

Spoke to the remap company and was advised that the problem was probably that she was still sucking carbon and rubbish through, and that the inlet manifold was likely to be full of gunk. Removed the MAP sensor, gave it a quick clean in brake cleaner and passed MOT ok. Ultimately was advised that the inlet manifold needed off, cleaning, and fitting of egr blanking plates...but that to do that the high pressure pump and cambelt needed off too.

so...

the time has come to attack these issues as she has done 70000 miles now, and that seems to be about the general agreed cambelt change.

before I open the tool box...as I have never done a cambelt on a modern diesel...am I right in thinking that the fuel pump isn't timed to the crank/cam like in the old days...and that its just like doing a petrol engine cambelt...additionally are there any special locking tools...or ways to improvise such to ensure timing remains correct? hence removing the fuel pump wont require timing...so I can get the inlet manifold off to strip it down and clean it.

Also I have been advised that the swirl flaps are best removed and blanked off...whats the opinions of the floor to that?

cheers all

yorkierm

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Buy the timing tools - its one crank locking tool and two cam locking tools, although you will only get one of the cam locking tools installed this is fine because the two second cam is gear driven off the first anyway. Correct use of these tools ensures you will get the timing correct on reassembly. Yes, swirl flaps should be removed while you have the inlet manifold off. The holes in the manifold (5 big ones on top, 1 little one below) can be welded up by an ally-welder. The diesel pump isn't timed so no worries there.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Get locking tools - not that expensive. Cambelt is a pretty easy job to do. Fuel pump is not timed.
Removing inlet is different story - lot of stuff to undo and you know - there is always one bolt that cant be reached or visible.
And you need to block the swirl flaps.
ta

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Believe you also have to leave the actuator motor electrically connected?

It's a job I have to get done sometime myself...

Guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as always the forum comes up trumps.

cheers guys...tools ordered and got a bit of ally bar I can turn down to make suitable size plugs to weld in place.

thank you all for the help.

yorkierm

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
as always the forum comes up trumps.

cheers guys...tools ordered and got a bit of ally bar I can turn down to make suitable size plugs to weld in place.

thank you all for the help.

yorkierm

:thumbup::thumbup:
I Was thinking of welding the plugs, but my local fabricator said it would distort the manifold. So i just glued the plugs in. Cleaned the holes till they are very shiny and the scored them for glue to stick on to. 6k miles later still going strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts