Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...happy new year to you all! :)

there's a black 2009 159 for sale at pinnacle cars in randburg. does anybody know anything about this car or why it seems so cheap?

link:
Autotrader.co.za

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wanted to buy that car 3 months ago when it was for sale at pinnacle cars, but when I phoned it had already been sold, so I would guess it's been returned to the dealership for whatever reason. Try and find out why.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wanted to buy that car 3 months ago when it was for sale at pinnacle cars, but when I phoned it had already been sold, so I would guess it's been returned to the dealership for whatever reason. Try and find out why.
Ditto! :) Was also interested in it for my wife, but the car was already sold. Was going for about R240k or thereabouts if I remember correctly...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh dear...i feel like i've inadvertently created a some competition for myself :(

zeff do you remember who you spoke to? the guy who i spoke to said the car had just arrived on 23/12/2011 (the day they closed for the holidays)

what possible reasons could there be for a returned car? mechanical failure? accident damage? "i dont like it anymore"?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I can't remember the salespersons name to be honest. He might have been dissapointed with the car, or it could be a lemon. Just push them for an honest answer

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool...thanks dude

i managed to contact the guy who bought it brand new and he liked it but wasnt really a fan of diesels. the key point he made was that the car ran really well and was rock solid when he had it.

i'll push the salesman for more info! :)

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Me like !.... As a current owner I actually looked at getting another one for my wife, we ended up with the MiTo instead..... COme to think of it, we paid R200 for a 2009 MiTo, and we could have had a 2008 or 2009 159 for similar money :wow: Now that is what I call value for money..... This is a R400k car, and not much goes wrong with it if well looked after. Mine has been perfect, other than replacing CV joints just after I got it.
This one is similar spec to mine as well....:thumbs:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's 190k

the salesman i'm dealing with doesnt really want to play ball with my trade-in either...every other dealer i've taken it to has offered me at least 30k over the settlement amount. he is willing to settle it only.

not sure whether to call a different salesman at the same place or just leave it. there's probably a queue of people already so he doesnt need my business :mad:

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Walk away, if he does not make his sales figures the end of the month, he will call you back
The Second hand car market rips us off enough, I NEVER settle for their prices, I insist they give me what I want, or I walk away....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks eric...i did basically tell him that i want 30k 'profit' from my trade and am not willing to go lower.

it's pretty hard to walk away from though...that car is too beautiful :inlove:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes almost as if you owed R1.00 on the car "We'll settle it but only because we like you!" kinda crap attitude.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have some doubts about the car, just from the small photo on here I can already see the side mirror is black plastic and not black colour coded(dificult on a black car to see I know) but that already means the mirror has been replaced, and this will lead me to investigate further for real accident damage, remember the devil is in the detail.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
pinnacle cars selss their stock well below trade value, which is great if you're buying cash, but the downside is that they purchase well below trade too. Sell privately and then buy from them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's true zeff but i think they're being beyond ridiculous. just to give you an indication the cheapest value on autotrader for my trade-in is 220k (for one with much higher mileage). I've taken the car to 7 different dealers who've offered me between 170k-210k for the car

pinnacle offered 135k :confused:

trade-in value according to those little books is 195k :confused:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have some doubts about the car, just from the small photo on here I can already see the side mirror is black plastic and not black colour coded(dificult on a black car to see I know) but that already means the mirror has been replaced, and this will lead me to investigate further for real accident damage, remember the devil is in the detail.
The only other 2.4 qtronic available in RSA at moment, from what I can see, and I am sure you are right, the LHS wing mirror has been knocked off, as well as something else perhaps in the past.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
So you don't want to buy a car becuase the left mirror is different....a mirror? if a valve was missing from the head I would understand the anality needed here.

But seriously.

I say buy it, take it to AA for their biggest test and get the history fromt eh VIN and call up the dealerships where it was serviced...

don't let something go because of blatant speculation and a different wing miror, just ask them to replace it or fix it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I bought it. Hopefully this will be a happier transaction :) It has got 3 yrs inc. maintenance left, and lots of things in it, full electric seats, fold down rear seats, 18" rims, folding wing mirrors. Hav'nt checked out Bose or Xenons yet. The Ti was tempting they have, but a bit much for what it is. Just wait if no nasties turn up in the full AA tech test tomorrow morning.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts