Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading in the Spider 3.0 V6 for a 159 2.4JTDM. Reasons are petrol price, maintenance costs etc.

I had a 1750TBI ti as a loan car for 2 weeks a year ago and I absolutely loved it... miss it everyday. Only problem is I was getting about 12l/100km so not very frugal.

I've heard good things about the 2.4 JTDM engine and thought it would be a bit more economical than my current daily which is a 3.2 TDI Triton. Claimed figures are: 7.5L per 100km but you never can trust that.

I see there are 2 variants a 200bhp and a 210bhp, all the ones I've seen claim 147kw? It seems that everyone says the 200bhp had a few problems and should be avoided, did we get these in SA?

The price range I have will allow me to afford a 2007 - 2009 which has about 100k to 120k. They all seem to be autos or "steptronic' as some of the adverts suggests. What are the usual issues around that mileage and is it advisable to get one with that many km's already on the clock (turbo issues)?

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Mine was faultless, and 7.5l/100km is very achievable on open road drives... in town expect 10l/100km
The 159 JTDm we got here are all the 210(147 kw) models, and all were Auto (Q-tronic)
I would go for a later model, but make sure you get an extended warrantee..... when things go wrong it becomes expensive....
The gearboxes are bullet proof, motors seemingly last forever if looked after and build quality is second to none.
The cars pull like traions.... up here in Gauteng I was constantly amazed at the power...... besides 147 Kw the more important figure is the 400 Nm torque at only 2000rpm....... that is more than class leading, its incredible....

Loved mine, if I could buy a new one today I would........

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Make sure you fit wheels that fill the arches, like the horseshoe or Ti wheels (both 18" as well as 19"). That just rounds the car off nicely, makes it look more menacing.

·
5,467 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for the feedback:

Eric your car was the one I was looking at. Any issues? Work required in the near future? Why did you trade it in? Right price in your opinion?

·
5,467 Posts
Right price, no real issues (I would ask for the CVs to be replaced or at least reconned.... its an issue on all of them..... you start getting a slight vibration on the steering..... nothing serious, but irritating.
I sold because its out of maintenance plan. no other reason (except my constant itch for new cars).
Turbo was faultless, engine faultless.....
Interior is perfect (for a 105k km car that is).
Some stone chips, and front bumper allignment slightly out. no accident damage, but the low lip catches on speedbumps etc. so it needs a respary at some point.

Would I buy it again, at that price ? Well, I actually considerd it.... I loved it, it was a great car. Fast, fairly economical, stunning to look at and drive, extremely comfy..... but its 6 years old :(

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Eric, last time I was at Chatz to get my valuation Teddy said that they had your old car in the workshop to sort out the vibration on the steering. He also mentioned something about a gearbox service. It sounds like they were ontop of sorting out any little glitches.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great well waiting feedback on the CV's and getting an idea on trade for my 2003 Spider V6.

·
5,467 Posts
I told Teddy about all the small issues on the car when I sold it, amongst other the CV issue...... so I trust they will have it attended to..... see if they will do a front bumper respray too

Edit.... thinking about this, my wheels started looking seriously second hand... no curbing or bends, but the paint was not great anymore, lots of chips and minor scratches.... see if they will do something about that too....

The tfront rubber only did about 5k km, the rears about 15k km..... still good for at least anouther 30 k km

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Eric... I just spoke to Teddy again. Asked about kerbing on the rims and he assured me if there are any issues that he will get them sorted. I will ask that they get repainted as part of the deal...

The clincher is what they will give me for my Spider... What should I realistically be ok with?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks Eric... I just spoke to Teddy again. Asked about kerbing on the rims and he assured me if there are any issues that he will get them sorted. I will ask that they get repainted as part of the deal...

The clincher is what they will give me for my Spider... What should I realistically be ok with?
Check what the trade value of the car is and work from there. If your car is in pristine condition, I wouldn't accept anything less than trade.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Kaizer, Chatz gave me exactly R80k for my 03 Spider V6 with 92000km on the clock last September. Absolutely everything worked and it had lots for recent work done to it. At the time I thought it was worth more but thinking about it now it wasn't too bad.

How many km's has your done? I did a Transunion online valuation on a 2003 Spider V6 that had done 140 000km on it and they were recommending only R60-61000 as trade-in. I can forward you a copy if you like.

·
5,467 Posts
My EGR was replaced with a brand new one in August 2012, and a good second hand DPF fitted as well, no issues there.
Note, my wheels were never kerbed, just a bit of road rash

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You have to laugh at second hand car dealers. One of the cars above is advertised as a manual petrol and it's actually an automatic diesel.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Eric, your old car still looks great, even though it's 6yrs old, it still looks better than most new cars out there. And the best part is that it's cheap as chips.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Right price,
Interior is perfect (for a 105k km car that is).
Some stone chips, and front bumper allignment slightly out. no accident damage, but the low lip catches on speedbumps etc. so it needs a respary at some point.

Would I buy it again, at that price ? Well, I actually considerd it.... I loved it, it was a great car. Fast, fairly economical, stunning to look at and drive, extremely comfy..... but its 6 years old :(
Do you think colour plays a big part in resale value? For instance, would you have gotten a better trade-in if your car was red or black?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Kaizer I'd be keen to buy your spider privately. I'm keen to get another Spider V6 but I don't want one of the semi-scrap heaps on the market right now. I'd even drive the 159 down from Chatz for you and drive back up in the Spider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts