Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My daily 159ti has sat at home all week with elecrical woes.

Last week coming home the engine hesitated momentarily a couple of times before the warning lights started: ABS, VDC and hill start unavailable. I've tried driving it for short distances since and the ABS seems to trigger on some or all brake applications and the speedo needle keeps flicking around although the speedo seems to be reading normally in between. There are repeated hesitations.

Fault codes are:

P0380 preheating control (replaced along with all the glow plugs four months ago)
P0504 Brake switch
P0500 Vehicle Speed Signal (CAN)
D602 CAN Line Error, Bus Off
9033 RH Stop Light, O.C. Or S.C. To +Batt.V.
D602 CAN Line Error, Wiring Faulty

Is this typical of ABS faults in the unit or a sensor? Do I have a wiring problem and if so where is it likely to be? The ABS fuse is intact, the large plug on the unit is clean and the brake lights work normally. The switch above the brake pedal looks fine and fiddling with it makes no difference. The battery is very new and there's plenty of power for starting after five days without using it. I've not changed the radio or any other accessories.

If I need a new ABS unit does it need to be coded and if so how and where?

Any help gratefully received

Many thanks

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Despite having a new battery, I would be checking voltage with the engine off, and again when running, you need to be seeing ideally 12.8V at rest, and 14.1V minimum at idle. I would also stick it on charge to be sure, you never know how long the battery was sat before fitting, mine when parked up will drain the battery in a few days if the alarm is on.

Easiest thing to check and certainly the cheapest.

Next step check all your earthing points and battery connections, I had a couple of occasions when mine stalled, which was solved by cleaning up the earth points and ensuring the battery terminals were nice and tight.

If you can, see if you can get your codes cleared, then see what, if any come back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks amfalconer and oxygen. The fuses under the dash are fine - already checked - and I will check the battery voltages tomorrow. The codes were already erased and came straight back.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who replied or read my thread. Eventually we got a sniff at the cause on the fault codes - right front wheel sensor. Once replaced (and front springs, suspension arm and a bubbled tyre) normal service has resumed.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Excellent news, glad it's sorted.

I had a call about my 159 yesterday and was asked if it had suffered any of the typical ABS failures - I wasn't aware that there were any? Apparently it's happened to the caller's previous 159, and a friends with what sounds like similar symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts