Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

159 is finally going in to have inlet manifold removal, clean and swirl flap blanking.

Actually quite excited :biglaugh: More prevention than cure as can see at least one is leaking.

Can anyone offer some advice on what kind of changes to expect?

The car runs OK at the moment but has a bit of a lumpy idle when warm and has to crank for about 3-4 seconds, followed by a small splutter before starting in the morning. EGR is already blanked, just need it deleting from ECU.

TTFN !

·
Registered
353 Posts
No better performance unless manifold is really caked up. Get the map sensor done at same time, this makes a big improvement and is very diy-able if that way inclined. Main difference is lumpy idle should be no more, boost fluctuations at full load will be almost non-existent. Starting May or may not be improved. Mine was slightly but I let my car go pretty bad before getting fixed. ( all 5 were leaking)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm concerned for the lumpy idle more than anything as it's terrible when stopped in traffic.

I cleaned the air mas and map sensor about a year ago when I blanked the EGR. Will probably do them again when the manifold is clean

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had mine done recently and found that it iddles better and starts sooner. It also seemed to cue the excessive white smoke on start up. That said I have also been told that I should of replaced them rather than removed them as they aid in developing low down torque.
Have you had your car remapped and if so by who?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not yet, it's going in on this Monday, should get it back Wednesday. I was also told to have them replaced and did toy with the idea but sooner or later, they will need replacing again. The good folk on other threads here recommend having them removed then remapping to deal with the low down torque. I will be having a remap at some point, looking at these guys as they seem pretty friendly on the phone, only in Hailsham (I'm in Brighton) and they will come to me for free http://www.ecuremappingsussex.co.uk

When did you have yours done and who done it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The swirl flaps were welded up by Autolusso and by all counts did a great job of it.
The map that is likely to be put on the car will be a generic one and unlikely to specifically address the performance characteristics of having the swirl flaps blanked.
I would take it to AHM if I were you, they are not too far from you and will sort it out properly! They don't believe in blanking swirl flaps and can do the best remap that is available for the 2.4 Diesel engine. Remap is expensive at approx £700 but definitely worth it. I have had 3 different remaps from various companies and the AHM/alfa tune is the best by far. Truth be told I regret not getting this remap first time round.
I understand your point about them going again and after talking to AHM you might decide that the cost differences between welding up swirl flaps against replacing and fixing does not stack up.
Having had this experience recently I would talk to AHM before going ahead with the work.
Which ever route you decide to go I can't recommend the alfa tune/Ahm remap enough.
both parties for and against welding seem to have valid arguments. I'd had my swirl flaps done before I was aware of the replacement theory so just wanted you to be more clued up than me.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
AHM remap is very good. It can be done for less than the £600 that they charge but at £600 it includes a replacement straight through pipe instead of bashing out the innards of your DPF and they will give your your DFP to keep.

Now the risk is that with a straight through pipe your local garage may spot that there should be a DPF and fail the MOT. MY 159 goes back to AHM for MOT / service so it hasn't failed it's MOT 4 years later.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If no one has mentioned it yet: the sound

Became deeper and really like the growl it gave off as it went through the lower rev range under load

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all,

Too late, picked the car up last night.

The whole car is a lot smoother through the RPM range from pulling away and the lumpy idle is no more. I crawled through traffic this morning and it was so much easier to manage at low RPMs. Yes a tiny tiny bit of low end torque has gone, so tiny that Mrs D didn't notice. Hoping a remap will cure this. Overall opinion so far......happy, feels like my Alfa again :hehe:.

Will now start a conversation with Aide at AHM about the remap on your recommendation :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts