Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, what options are now available?
Can a second hand one be reprogrammed for my car?
Are new ones available?

symptoms
car was idling up to temp for 30 mins and waiting for fan to come on, engine stopped, no error on dash, not able to connect to engine ECU, fuel pump not priming when ignition turned on, fuel pump checked ok, tried when cold and same thing, cranks ok but doesnt start, ECU pins all look ok.

ECU is off car waiting to be sent to be checked.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no, been waiting for advice from here.
need to know how close to the ser number it has to be
if it could be my ecu or the loom
if i connect my ecu to another car and it is ok, will it be seen by odb, would that cause any issues to ecu
if i connect another ecu to my car will it be seen by odb, would that cause any issues to ecu
cant find any places that repair, only test
one of the links provide a plug an play ecu
can my indy do anything
what equipment is needed
waiting to see if a friend can get hold of a breaker ecu, i have given him all the numbers off my ecu

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure if a 147 TS is the same as your 159, but when my ECU failed on the 147 i was told that only an Alfa dealer could reprogram an ECU to match your body computer and alarm / immobiliser.
I used ECU testing as per your link and have to say they where excellent. They do tell you though if your current ECU is to corrupted and they can't get the information off it before they repair it you will have to visit an Alfa dealer. I sent mine away and they received it the next working day, which they confirmed with a text, they then texted me to say it was assigned to a certain technician, they texted again to say they had found a fault and would be able to repair, again they texted to say it was fixed and they would be dispatching and a final text to say to was being dispatched, all carried out within the same working day. I received back the next day. Thinking about the amount of texts i received was irritating:grumpy:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
In my experience, damage/aging/chafing to the loom or wires leading to the ECU is far more likely than damage/faults with the ECU itself. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update
I borrowed another body computer, engine ecu, steering lock ecu, key and dashboard key receptor, swapped them all over, what a pita that body computer is, have to take out all the relays to get it out and is fiddly.
engine light came up on dash as it should, wouldn't start, odb gave rpm sensor fault, replaced the already new rpm sensor, checked the wiring, even piggy backed the wires from another loom, no joy, so Faulty ECU!!!
Spoke to Lawrence at autolusso and he had an ecu, sent him my ecu and he copied over the relevant data.
Car is running and MOT'd

·
Registered
50 Posts
update
I borrowed another body computer, engine ecu, steering lock ecu, key and dashboard key receptor, swapped them all over, what a pita that body computer is, have to take out all the relays to get it out and is fiddly.
engine light came up on dash as it should, wouldn't start, odb gave rpm sensor fault, replaced the already new rpm sensor, checked the wiring, even piggy backed the wires from another loom, no joy, so Faulty ECU!!!
Spoke to Lawrence at autolusso and he had an ecu, sent him my ecu and he copied over the relevant data.
Car is running and MOT'd
Hey BigAl,

I think i may be having a similar issue as you were. Do you by any chance have the spare ecu you used to diagnose your issue. My car links to all but the main ecu. Im in Wimbledon if you can point me in the direction of someone who could help.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spare ecu was faulty, faulty rpm sensor, so would be of no use, except to see if you could connect to it. I gave it back.
Do you know anyone in your area with the same ecu you could borrow?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The spare ecu was faulty, faulty rpm sensor, so would be of no use, except to see if you could connect to it. I gave it back.
Do you know anyone in your area with the same ecu you could borrow?
Ye that is all i am looking for at the moment, to check to see if it is a connection issue rather than an ecu issue. I am trying to hunt one down, but no joy at the moment.

I am not getting connection to main ecu, changed cam and crank sensors as a precaution. Still cranks with no fire up, unless i spray quick start in the intake (wont maintain) How much did you pay to get the data transferred. Did you send it off for diagnostic before hand

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£250 all in, no, straight to Lawrence, he was just going to send an ecu but the 2.4's have to have date copied over, others can be made ready, give him a call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts