Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m a newbie, not to Alfa’s but certainly to this club site and below is an extract from my introduction posted on 13th, under ‘30 years in the wilderness'. Although I am relatively familiar with the BMW and VW based diesel units, not so with the Fiat units. But I have no reason to suspect they are any less reliable. So if anyone would care to enlighten me on their own experiences regarding the 2.4 or indeed the 1.9 JTD units I would appreciate it. Thanks!

……………………………..It has not taken me long to make my decision on which model to acquire, a ‘Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagon’. Giving just a dash of practicality in regards to my grandchildren. In choosing the estate I am of the opinion that it will give me as much room as I can extract from an Alfa? And as I don’t like to be short on gee gees when I need them I’d prefer the 2.4 diesel but will also settle for a good 1.9. Unfortunately I am financially constrained so cars under 2 or 3 years old are unlikely to be considered. But I’m sure with a bit of vigilance I will locate a good example.
All in all after a bit of research it would seem that the 2.4 JTD engine is a fairly robust unit and will do the miles subject to the regular maintenance. With the reliability of the 1.9 JTD possibly even more qualified for big mileage? Excellent I thought, and then I stumbled across a review on Auto Trader (link below) which questioned the fragility of the 2.4? The gentleman concerned ‘lexQ’ although enthusiastic about the marque had the unfortunate experience of having had five 2.4JTD engine units replaced in just over a year? Unfortunately lexQ does not explain the reasons or causes for this bizarre set of circumstances. Save that the whole operation was seemingly carried out by a qualified Alfa workshop. Logic would imply there is more to this storey than the integrity of the design. But the suggestion here seems to intimate that the fault lies with the frailty of the unit???? Other than this example the feedback on the 159 diesels appears healthy and positive!
So to all you Alfa enthusiasts I’m here for a software update and hopefully above all to enjoy owning an Alfa again. I will start a thread in the technical forum for anyone who would like to respond. In anticipation I wish to thank all who will contribute to broadening my knowledge base.

Lomas55

ALFA ROMEO 159 Saloon 2006 Owner Review - Car Reviews - Auto Trader

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Mines a 2008 and done 50k miles from new. No problems at all.

The only concerns are when you only do short journey town driving and the DPF can't do a full clean out.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Lomas55

I'd be a bit skeptical about that autotrader review. I can believe someone having five parts of an engine replaced (EGR springs to mind), but even that would be bad luck. Five whole engines would be more than the value of the entire car. Doesn't seem credible.

As for the 2.4 JDTm, it's a perfectly robust unit, albeit that - as a diesel - there is more to go wrong than the equivalent petrol powerplant. The cam is belt-driven, so as with all belt drives, a clean service history is very important. The nominal replacement mileage for the cam belt is 90k miles, but many on here get the cam belt changed at 72k, or 60k as a precaution.

The predominant issue, as stevepen above suggests, is the diesel particulate filter clogging with lots of short runs around town. A good blast on the motorway, or regular motorway miles normally sorts that out, but if your predominant driving style is 'around town', then I would recommend the 2.2 petrol. The EGR valve is also prone to clogging in the same manner.

One minor issue with the 2.4, is they came fitted with a plastic bleed screw at the top of the water cooling circuit, above the engine, which is prone to failure. It's a very easy job to replace this with a "proper" metal screw, and it's essential that you get this done. Do a search on here to find more information.

Other than that, its all good! ;) The 1.9 is the 'sister' engine to the 2.4 (effectively one cylinder lopped off the end), so much of what I've said still applies. The fuel economy isn't as good as the best of the Germans currently, but in terms of 'smiles per mile', it's far better. :thumbs:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bought a 2007 2.4jtdm lusso sw in the summer, absolutely love it to bits, only criticism is rear passenger leg room is not the most generous (But I am 6ft 4ins so the seat is all the way back) Averaging 35mpg, no oil used in 4000 miles, will get the remap,dpf,egr done in the new year hopefully.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lomas55

Now if I believed everything I read about MG ZTs / Rover 75 and their fondness for k-series head gaskets I'd never have bought one of those either :lol:.

Apart from a replaced egr valve (under warranty) I've had no problems in 40k miles.

Yes there are some bad eggs but you'll get that with any car. VAG units suffer with DPFs too don't they?

I suggest if budget permits, that you go for a 210 2.4 (2008 onwards) and put £600 aside for a remap and EGR delete.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do take your point natwest there will always be criticism, maybe even of the Alfa 8C ooooo sorry chaps and chapeses. But as I found with my ZT just ask the right people. And to clarify; the engine in my ZT is the M47R- 2 litre diesel unit and yes I found negative comments about it endurance. After being furnished with the facts I bought one chipped it and have done 70000 enjoyable miles. next please!
And it would seem from what you say Redmatt75 that the only real issues are the ones that apply to the majority of the c-rail units and that is, courtesy of VW & BMW ones that I am already now familiar with. But thanks for re-emphasising all the same. I have decided to stick with diesels primarily because I have become accustomed to; and enjoy the way they deliver the power. Which is why I prefer the biggie of the 2 units. Yes I know the extra gee gees will eat a few more handfuls of hay but hey it won’t be long before big brother is driving the car for us so I will enjoy my freedom to make decisions while I can. Yes fuel costs and road tax are a consideration but for me in this instance I am hoping the extra I get is worth the trade off?
I live in North Yorkshire (yes I know how lucky am I?) and have a round trip of 40 miles work days. I have no motorway driving but then again very little built up area restrictions so I can enjoy my driving although it is primarily b roads and bumpy but straightish, enough for an engine to breath naturally.
One aspect I was plagued with on the VW was sensors they turned out to be a bloody nuisance, any comment?
Well so far so good and I must thank you all for giving your time to respond and await further comments.

Lomas55

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No great reported issues with sensors. Sensor issues appear to be totally random and not design faults, and will happen to any marque.

Sounds like you are aware of the general pros and cons of oil burners! One thing to note is that the 5cyl is quite a characterful engine, and has a relatively pleasing note under load (No Busso V6 by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad for an oiler!) :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No great reported issues with sensors. Sensor issues appear to be totally random and not design faults, and will happen to any marque.

Sounds like you are aware of the general pros and cons of oil burners! One thing to note is that the 5cyl is quite a characterful engine, and has a relatively pleasing note under load (No Busso V6 by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad for an oiler!) :)
Can't say I noticed any pleasing note from mine. lol:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts