Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm hoping to become a 159 owner very soon and have my eyes set on a 2.4 JTDM 20v variant.

I have no experience with Alfas at all so I was hoping that you could help me with some pointers for buying? I'm budgeting for around 4.5 - 5k which should get me something around year 2008 and 70k miles.

If I can find a dealer that will take my car Part-X then I'll be budgeting around 6.5 - 7k.

Also, is there anyone here who has/had one and can advise what the real life MPG is, and if you've remapped/DPF deleted, and what the MPG is after that?

Appreciating all of your help.

Thanks

Jase

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...573754-definitive-159-brera-buyers-guide.html

I've had a 2006 car for about 7 months.
My experience is.
EGR Valve - Mine needs cleaning, perhaps have a EGR Delete in the future. Plagued my previous Alfa 1.9 GT too.
Power Steering - Incorrect fluid can result in permanent damage. Think mine might be on its way.
Subframes - They were not that well protected and as such the ealrier ones (such as mine) are starting to corrode.

Plenty of folk seem to have a remap and EGR delete. I think swirl flaps may also be an issue. No experience of mapping or swirl flaps. DPF is another problem but not for me.

These engine related issues affect many diesels not just Alfas.

Economy mixed driving. 12 miles motorway, 3 miles dual carriageway with plenty of traffic lights and about 2 miles on A-roads. Roughly 17 miles to work. I average about 40-41 on the trip computer. Overall though with other use comes out around 36mpg. They are not really that good on the whole compared to say VW/Audi.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I may bring swirl flaps up for a moment, there is some concern on here but I'd like to ask what the concern is. In my last car BMW E46 320cd, I removed the swirl flaps because it was extremely well known that they could disconnect from the spindle at higher mileages and the engine with eat them, and then everything's ruined.

Why do people remove them on these cars?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great Wezley, thanks - exactly what I wanted.

I found the buyers guide too, that will help, but there's nothing quite like hands on experience.

My commute is 6 miles of B and A roads, I'm not particularly heavy footed but like a squirt of fun now and then. I do however have the occasional run on the motorway (work related) that will see me do between 90 - 200 miles each way.

If these cars weren't so damn good looking I'd be walking away from that MPG - I suppose I should be thinking about the 1.9 JTDm but the child in me wants the powerful toy (and most likely would get the DPF delete & remap).

I'm interested in the swirl flaps too...

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I

I'm not 100% certain they do. I have read issues but can't recall how much of an issue it actually is.

That's great Wezley, thanks - exactly what I wanted.

I found the buyers guide too, that will help, but there's nothing quite like hands on experience.

My commute is 6 miles of B and A roads, I'm not particularly heavy footed but like a squirt of fun now and then. I do however have the occasional run on the motorway (work related) that will see me do between 90 - 200 miles each way.

If these cars weren't so damn good looking I'd be walking away from that MPG - I suppose I should be thinking about the 1.9 JTDm but the child in me wants the powerful toy (and most likely would get the DPF delete & remap).

I'm interested in the swirl flaps too...
I love the car. I love the interior, the exterior, the way it sounds (for a diesel) and mostly how it goes. I do not believe I'm getting the best performance from it. It seems a little sluggish low down but I'm 99% sure that is down to my EGR.

I liked my previous 1.9 GT but this for me is way better. :)

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Are there options to fit aftermarket 2din units?

...and compared to the 1.9 - how does the 2.4 feel?
There are a few threads on Android units and such. I know there are specific units that appear to be perfect for the 159.

To be fair the 1.9 was in a GT which is lighter and certainly more nimble in corners. However the 2.4 in the 159 feels quicker. I say feels as I never actually timed any car, not ever.

Reactions: Marewx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your help has been priceless Wezley, thank you.

I'm quite confident I now know that I am looking for (each aspect is descending in order of importance)

2.4 20v
Below 80k miles
Qtronic
White

·
Registered
291 Posts
If I may bring swirl flaps up for a moment, there is some concern on here but I'd like to ask what the concern is. In my last car BMW E46 320cd, I removed the swirl flaps because it was extremely well known that they could disconnect from the spindle at higher mileages and the engine with eat them, and then everything's ruined.

Same reason they potentially fall off or start to leak. There was a post once that had pictures of them jammed in inlet valves. Though I think the job on BMW's is a lot easier than on the 159, especially the 2.4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the EGR DPF delete and remap - I read in the definitive buying giude that the DPF delete is a contentious issue - why?

Does it affect MOT?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
As mentioned there are loads of threads on this (the search function will bring them up!). The MOT demands that the tester look for the DPF on the exhaust pipe. This is getting stricter, previously everyone would put on a pass through pipe, now people tend to take the insides of the DPF out, so the tester will see the DPF in situ.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Whilst I would consider a EGR delete I would not personally remove the DPF. I believe the mileage/journey's I do should not cause any issues with the DPF.

If you are not doing a reasonable mileage you ought to be buying a V6 :lol:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
DPF have a life expectancy of around 80-150k before needing replacement (£3-400) they also increase fuel consumption by around 3-4mpg (both in terms of back pressure on the turbo, but also a regen involves literally throwing diesel down the exhuast) and decrease engine power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DPF have a life expectancy of around 80-150k before needing replacement (£3-400) they also increase fuel consumption by around 3-4mpg (both in terms of back pressure on the turbo, but also a regen involves literally throwing diesel down the exhuast) and decrease engine power.
My driving habits are quite limited.

Daily commute is a 6 mile (one way) 15 minute trip.

Once per week I do a 7.5 mile trip (one way, then back later)

Plans are to start running 100 - 180 mile (one way and then back later) trips once every 1 - 2 months with work although I can't rely on those.

Are all pre 2009 159's fitted with a DPF?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Think you will struggle to get the DPF regens with that drive, they tend to happen around once per tank of fuel (very rough calculation). You could try it and then get it mapped when this happens (or from the begiiing), or perhaps look at a petrol option?
Also many of the 2.4 have been mapped alread y (with DPF delete), problem solved!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Petrol - not my first choice, performance on a budget with Derv. The torque the 2.4 can give is huge, especially after remapping. To get that with petrol would double my tax and fuel bill.

The DPF Delete - I'm not afraid of getting that done myself, but I've read that the law regarding MOTs is going to change and anything with this done will fail (a proper test, not just visual)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a remap but kept my DPF in place. However, unless MOTs are going to be extended by 40 minutes so loads of cars can have their DPF's removed and checked internally, the visual test of having one in situ will do for now I'm sure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Go-ahead and buy with confidence Jase, the 2.4 (especially in TI) guise is a wonderful car that's only let down by its weight and, IMO, soft front suspension (easily sorted).

The engine seems to be the choice for reliability, especially at high mileages, and the gearbox is strong (the 1.9 can have bearing issues). Mine's running a custom re-map with a few other mods but I kept the DPF because future MOT laws may require it to be tested, but I did delete the EGR (both stupid ideas to save the environment but that actually make the engine far less effective therefore using more fossil fuel!).

I love the car, it's a joy to boot around but also good on a long journey as it's quite long-legged. Just make sure you do regular longer journeys though or that 6 mile commute will start to clog things up.

Double DIN units readily available. I changed mine for a Pioneer F77DAB and am very happy.

Happy hunting....... :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:thumbup:

encouraging post MC!

Thanks. In fact I think I will - the car I have right now gets me 25mpg at the very best and runs on the only the finest of octanes. So having to take my car on a bimonthly blast somewhere for a good DPF clean is still going to be cheaper than what I'm currently experiencing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts