Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

Noticed recently that my clutch pedal doesn't want to travel all the way, get's sorta stuck about an inch from the top. It normally pops back up eventually but occasionally needs a quick nudge with your foot. You can't notice any difference when driving which leaves me to assume/HOPE that it's nothing too serious..?

Anyone else had this? can a squirt of DB40 sort it out...?

Cheers,

Tom

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the master cylinder to me.
My 1.9 had 3off in quick succession under warranty.
Not under warranty unfortunately :-\

Did it get progressively worse? mine's been like this for a while with no other noticeable side effects. Inclined to just leave it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had the same but it was a very quick fix, the pedal was getting caught on the after market mat that had risen up the foot well, I'm more than sure you've checked that :D

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Had the same but it was a very quick fix, the pedal was getting caught on the after market mat that had risen up the foot well, I'm more than sure you've checked that :D
Yeah I have the occasional mat issue.

Scared the hell out of me first time...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tom,

Did you get this sorted out in the end ?

The clutch on my 57 plate 2.4JTDM is doing exactly the same. It's changing gear very smoothly with no problems and doesn't seem to be getting any worse so far. It's definately not getting caught by the carpet mat.

Hopefully I'm not in for a big expense !

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I bought my 159 (2.4) it had both a really bad sticking clutch pedal and a slipping clutch. Got a bargain because of the slipping clutch!

As part of the repair, clutch master cylinder slave was replaced but the pedal occasionally still gets a stuck a little way before the top of travel.

So:

1. I don't think the master cylinder is necessarily the issue;
2 There is another thread that deals with this issue - can't remember the exact solution but it wasn't WD40; and
3. I wonder if the pedal not returning to the top was in part the cause of the clutch being burnt out and slipping?

Sanman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mines just started doing this too. Would love to know why. Wonder if itd temperature related as its happened to a frw around the start of winter

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine does this.

At first I thought it was the mat. Occasionally it is, but the clutch still sticks when it has clearance.

I was chatting with one of the guys at Mangos and mentioned the master cylinder. He suggested before doing that, try adjusting the nut on the clutch pedal itself. He said sometimes they can get a bit too tight and a few turns just to loosen it off a bit sometimes stops the clutch from sticking.

I still haven;t got around to doing this but must give it a try. If anyone has any success with this please let us know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
All of the above really. Firstly, the mat issue is very common. Had it on mine, moved mat, flattened it, checked it, stuck it down, sorted! But then after a while, got gradually worse....ended up being a slipping clutch, so had master cylinder, DMF and clutch done all at once....changed the car immensely! But, has started to get sticky again recently and won't be the clutch as that only has a few thousand miles on it, so suspect its the third of the culprits which is the sticky pedal issue.....bit of WD40 should do the trick. So, check all of the above first, then make the choice on which you feel you can eliminate....good luck!

P.S......the clutch replacement with all of what I had done isn't cheap....lets hope its not that for you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
when i press clutch pedal down it won't come out again. I use my hand to get i up again. But then it works normal, during driving. But when i park it for several hours the pedal stays in again. My garage tried to vent off the system for air. It did not work but the clutch pump will be changed(slave sylinder). They think slave sylinder is the problem, will be changed next week. Hope it solves the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I seem to be the latest to join this little club!

Just in the past week the clutch pedal has started getting a little hesitant about returning. Some times it just pauses for a blink before following my foot. Other times it sticks very near the bottom of its travel. Quite worried that one of these gear changes it'll not return and I'll be stuck with no drive.

No-one seems too concerned about it so maybe I'll just learn to live with it. As long as it's not the clutch on it's way out!

LD

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Brera clutch was a little sticky near the top of its travel. Sprayed a little PTFE spray up around the pivot and bracket (green can from Toolstation) and its fine now :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
My Brera clutch was a little sticky near the top of its travel. Sprayed a little PTFE spray up around the pivot and bracket (green can from Toolstation) and its fine now :thumbs:

I had the slave cylinder changed, which sorted it for a year, but it is now beginning to return.

I think I will live with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts