Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
159. 2.4 TI. Stalling whilst driving? I have had a couple of reasonably slow speed senarios where all engine power goes, As you come to a stop ( carefully as power steering has gone) as revs drop and go into neutral , engine is off. E.g no idle. Initially car won’t restart from start button, however if key removed and reinserted starts straight away.

This has happened about six times on me in last 10 days. Three separate occasions/ days lucky enough whilst at low speeds?

Nothing on faults when using MultiEcuScan? I am going to swap keys as thinking linked to immobiliser although pure guess? Any ideas most welcome.

Car recently had clutch and DMF changed a couple of months back. Very occasionally clutch pedal does not raise last inch on its own. I put this down to car standing before I got it and repaired clutch and just a few things a bit sticky. Hopefully this is unrelated but thought would mention.

On less urgent and I don’t think connected, MPG I am getting seems not to great according to display 22.9MPG average. This seems worse than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Car has had previous EGR delete and AHM remap back via previous owner. On my list for future when next cam belt due was swirl flap delete. Could leaks from swirlflaps cause bad MPG?

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
159. 2.4 TI. Stalling whilst driving? I have had a couple of reasonably slow speed senarios where all engine power goes, As you come to a stop ( carefully as power steering has gone) as revs drop and go into neutral , engine is off. E.g no idle. Initially car won’t restart from start button, however if key removed and reinserted starts straight away.

This has happened about six times on me in last 10 days. Three separate occasions/ days lucky enough whilst at low speeds?

Nothing on faults when using MultiEcuScan? I am going to swap keys as thinking linked to immobiliser although pure guess? Any ideas most welcome.

Car recently had clutch and DMF changed a couple of months back. Very occasionally clutch pedal does not raise last inch on its own. I put this down to car standing before I got it and repaired clutch and just a few things a bit sticky. Hopefully this is unrelated but thought would mention.

On less urgent and I don’t think connected, MPG I am getting seems not to great according to display 22.9MPG average. This seems worse than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Car has had previous EGR delete and AHM remap back via previous owner. On my list for future when next cam belt due was swirl flap delete. Could leaks from swirlflaps cause bad MPG?
The exact same happened to me at the end of last year - had it in at the auto electricians and they initially thought it was an injector, but when replaced it didn't solve the problem.

It turned out to be a faulty ECU (which they managed to replace with one sourced off ebay), but I'm pretty certain my re-map has gone :(

I also had a new clutch assembly replaced and had the pedal issue too....it just needed bleeding a couple of times.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Crank sensor maybe?

Clutch pedal is a fairly common problem on 159,if you slack the 10mm bolts for master cylinder and reposition slightly it will stop sticking.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok seems I have cured stalling however done quite a few things.
1) Changed Fuel Filter
Also filled fuel to over half tank, to discount leak in fuel pump within tank, or any fuel related.

No change still stalling

2) cleaned main earth straps under battery to body and body to gearbox ones
3) changed cam sensor. (Bought cam and crank sensor) however this could be done at side of a road where car broke down.

This seemed to stop stalling however still felt power not at best.
Drove car back home waiting on dreaded stall did not happen.

On my home small low level ramps, undertray removed.

4) changed crank sensor
5) checked all vacuum pipes even if no problem found removed, replaced with new pipe anyhow as cheap

Power all back. RESULT!!!

As had no error codes needed to do a bit of trial and error, so bit time consuming however seems to have cured so happy cost cheap.

Fuel Filter £40
Cam sensor £30
Crank sensor £30
Vacuum hose generic £10.

As car over 10 years old viewed no harm changing sensors as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2.0 did that and I put it down to a dodgy tankful from Tesco. The tankers were refilling the station at the time and i could feel the diesel swishing around as i filled. I figured a load of crap must have been disturbed and gone in the tank.

Used a few diesel additive products for a while and only fill up at Esso now (for the clubcard points). Problem has now been absent for 11 months or so.

Filters were changed last week at annual service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts