Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right..............

I know there's plenty of threads relating to head lights on here but none of them actually really explain how to get them out and back in !!!

I've had enough of straining my eyes trying to see whats happening in front of me every night whilst driving through deepest darkest Gloucestershire and I'm gonna simply upgrade to xenon bulbs.

I've spoken to my mechanic (well regarded on here) who can supply and fit decent Lucas xenon bulbs.....BUT at a cost of £100+VAT:eek:. He seems to think that the front bumper needs removing to able to get to the main & dipped lights. Is this true ???

Can I do it my self without losing all the skin off my knuckles and being arrested for a public order offence when I inevitably lose my rag and explode into a furious rage :mad:!!!??..........Do I need to dislocate my shoulders, wrists and elbows to get to them ???

Yours Sincerely

Mr Magoo

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hi, no you dont have to remove the bumper to get either the dip or main bulbs out, the dip bulbs are relitivly easy to change, just remember to note if the flat bit of the outer bulb is at the top or bottom, I think it is at the top.
I fitted a hid kit to my car and took me about an hour max.
I think the best halogen bulbs to go for are the osram night breakers but they are still nowhere near as good as a hid kit

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
try some 120% bulbs from maybe autobulbs direct. do note your bulbs should be h7 for both dipped and main. some sites list the main as an h1 bulb main beam, but that is only the cars with xenon dipped beams

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay.............

But is it easier to replace bulbs on the 1.9 ???........Less engine more room ???

I'm gonna have a look tonight and do a risk assessment:lol:..........And assess whether my temper:mad: is cool enough to proceed !!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
my mechanic done them in place but used a mirror and moved some stuff out of the way. he also undone the top two mounts so the headlight could be moved slightly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would give the Osram Nightbreakers (H7) a try first. It will ony cost you about £14
I use them in my 159 and they actually do light up things in front of you! I can sympathise with you finding the std halogens poor, I didn't even notice both of mine were blown for a couple of days! (prior to fitting the Nightbreakers).
As others have said changing the dipped beam bulbs is pretty simple (if a bit tight).

Edit to say: the tricky bulbs to do are the front sidelights BTW, now that takes some dexterity and patience! The dipped bulbs are actually really easy.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Okay.............

But is it easier to replace bulbs on the 1.9 ???........Less engine more room ???

I'm gonna have a look tonight and do a risk assessment:lol:..........And assess whether my temper:mad: is cool enough to proceed !!!
The 1.9 engine is a bit shorter but same amount of room at the front

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
to be honest, if you are going to try and do the headlights and im thinking more of the main beams, since they are such a hard job, you really should fit 100% or 120% bulbs imo.

thats the only way your going to get the best output from the standard setup and as its a knuckle busting job, would you want to have to do it again becuase the bulbs you fitted were not much better than the standards

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too have a bulb gone (wife noticed i struggled to tell the difference) i was going to fit the ebay £38 hid kit recommended on a previous thread. If i was to just upgrade the existing halogens would this be much difference to the current candle like brightness i currently tolerate? or is hid really the only way to go! given the cold weather and not having a garage a quick nip out fix and nip back in job does seem more appealing.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
ive got 120% bulbs in main beam and 100% on dipped. ive certainly noticed a big difference over standard. Still no where as good as the xenons in our mazda 6 but not the world apart they used to be.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ive got 120% bulbs in main beam and 100% on dipped. ive certainly noticed a big difference over standard. Still no where as good as the xenons in our mazda 6 but not the world apart they used to be.
Cheers just ordered a pair for the dipped, that'll do till it warms up then i'll fit the hid kit whilst enjoying the sunshine happy days are not far away :thumbs:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorted...........

New Xenon bulbs fitted.........And guess what ??? The good folks at my local Halfords did it !!!:lol:

Only cost £42. The bulbs were BOGOF and only £12 to fit. So I wandered around "The Range" next door and looked at household tat for 10 minutes and the little Halfords bulb-wallah stuck them in.

Obviously he didnt do the dipped & main. As I think I'd still be there now !!!

I know what ya gonna say "HALFORDS" !!!.........But £42 fitted and a new dust pan and brush purchased as well !!

The bulbs are good quality and apparently according to the guy behind the desk made by Bosch. He himself a 156 owner who I chatted with for awhile had also fitted the same bulbs across the front of his 2.5V6.

Sorted :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts