Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy’s

Please bare with me, I’m new to Alfa’s.

Never even driven one but I know I want one!

I’ve narrowed it down to either a used 2.4 159 or Brera.

Ideally the Italia Independent but they don’t seem to exist here in the UK?

I have a few questions I’m hoping you guy’s could help with.

1. Regarding remapping, how does this effect insurance and do I need to inform my insurance company if I get it done half way through a policy?
  2. I’ve had turbo diesels in the past and have had all sorts of problems with particle filters. What are the advantages/disadvantages of getting them removed? Is the MOT likely to be an issue?
  3. Same question regarding the EGR?
  4. I realise these cars sound great for diesels but would anyone recommend an upgraded exhaust when a new one is needed? Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8VjaE3-u6E
  5. Unfortunately I’m looking at higher mileage cars due to finances, 80-100k. Is this around cam belt number 3?
  6. How about other things like the fly wheel etc? Should any other things have been changed or is it more a case of only replacing once they die?

Sorry for so many questions, I got a bit carried away!

·
Registered
974 Posts
1. Yes you do need to inform your insurance.
2. Yes MOT will be an issue, just leave it on and take it for a drive down the Motorway every now and again (in third probably).
3. In 2018 MOT Nox adherance testing will increase, so it will be a problem sooner or later.
4. Skip on that one.
5. + 6. Yup, on my 156 (2.4JTDM) I had the cam / clutch and dual mass changed around the 80K mark. You'd probably be best having the cam done earlier, at 80K the cam should of been done anyway so check the service history.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 159 is for sale, have just bumped up the thread.

Mine has been through 3 MOTs with no issue on DPF (hollowed out but still on car), and that is 3 different MOT stations too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Yes you do need to inform your insurance.
2. Yes MOT will be an issue, just leave it on and take it for a drive down the Motorway every now and again (in third probably).
3. In 2018 MOT Nox adherance testing will increase, so it will be a problem sooner or later.
4. Skip on that one.
5. + 6. Yup, on my 156 (2.4JTDM) I had the cam / clutch and dual mass changed around the 80K mark. You'd probably be best having the cam done earlier, at 80K the cam should of been done anyway so check the service history.
Thanks for the reply,

Weed on my cornflakes a bit but that's why I asked the questions!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
if you've never driven an alfa how do you know you want one ?

many cars will already have the egr, dpf and remap already fitted, theres no way to tell other than have the car inspected with a ecu reader. I wouldnt bother about insurance.

if the clutch is ok, just drive it.

if the clutch needs changing then changing the dmf is a good idea but places like autolusso can inspect it for you and offer a good price for sorting it out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Unfortunately I’m far from a driving expert!
All my past cars have been chosen on the aesthetics rather than driving experience.
I had an M3 a couple of years ago and knew I wanted one way before I drove one.

Great advice though, many thanks.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I've bought at least two serious money cars without even driving them and just because I liked the way they look (and am a fanboy).

1). The obvious and correct answer is, yes you should. How exactly they can tell unless forensics get involved if you were in a serious accident I'm not sure. If you are asking me what I would do, then the answer would be 'yes'.
2). As mentioned they are going to be an MOT issue if you do not have one and the car did at manufacture. I'm still new to my 159 2.4 (which I adore I might add) but have had EGR issues with my previous 1.9 JTDm GT. EGR issues on my 159 are yet to be experienced by me. I think with the DPF if you use the car and do decent long journeys there really should not be an issue. For me time will tell.
3). MOT in the future, though many here have EGR delete as part of a map (or on it's own) something I might look into myself.
4). Love the growl of the five cylinder when pushed. Sounds good inside but probably like a rattly old tool box outside :lol:. I'm not sure an exhaust on any diesel it worth it. Just my own two pence worth :)
5 +6). I have no experience with. Mine has done 103k and I think my power steering pump may be goosed or at least a fluid change is required.

There are buyer threads on this section and AlfaWorkshop have a buyer's guide on their website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've bought at least two serious money cars without even driving them and just because I liked the way they look (and am a fanboy).

1). The obvious and correct answer is, yes you should. How exactly they can tell unless forensics get involved if you were in a serious accident I'm not sure. If you are asking me what I would do, then the answer would be 'yes'.
2). As mentioned they are going to be an MOT issue if you do not have one and the car did at manufacture. I'm still new to my 159 2.4 (which I adore I might add) but have had EGR issues with my previous 1.9 JTDm GT. EGR issues on my 159 are yet to be experienced by me. I think with the DPF if you use the car and do decent long journeys there really should not be an issue. For me time will tell.
3). MOT in the future, though many here have EGR delete as part of a map (or on it's own) something I might look into myself.
4). Love the growl of the five cylinder when pushed. Sounds good inside but probably like a rattly old tool box outside :lol:. I'm not sure an exhaust on any diesel it worth it. Just my own two pence worth :)
5 +6). I have no experience with. Mine has done 103k and I think my power steering pump may be goosed or at least a fluid change is required.

There are buyer threads on this section and AlfaWorkshop have a buyer's guide on their website.

Thanks for the input.

I was only wondering about the legality of the insurance declaration but now I know it’s a legal requirement, I’ll 100% let them know if I get a remap.
From what I have read so far, even if the remap was done by a previous owner, it’s still your responsibility to find out as ignorance is not a defence (not my words) should the worst happen. Imagine hitting a Veyron and your insurance being void! All jokes aside, void insurance can ruin your life in extreme circumstances, lots of examples on the net. Those guys will do anything to get out of a big payout!

My main concerns regarding the DPF are the unexpected costs. I had a Peugeot a while back and the Particle filter additive levels got low. £180 to refill but it was faulty so £700 for new filter.
All a bit academic if DPF removal means you can’t get an MOT!

Did you hear the exhaust on the link, sounds unreal (if you like that kind of thing)!

It would be great if an insurance expert could offer some advice because knowing what is classed as “modified” would be very interesting or scary!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I agree regarding a previous remap. Though I'm sure it has not I could not say for certain that my car has not been remapped or EGR delete.

I think in situations where a third party is involved then insurance companies can't 'get away with it'. I mean they have to pay out. Some agreement they all make I think. Although it's only hearsay.

I have to be honest and say up until the next few moments I have not listened to the video but am just about to. I have heard other diesel cars with 'exhausts' and to me they all sound just as **** and a complete waste of earned money. I will give it a try though :)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Diesels by default sound like a box of old spanners.

I'm not convinced, it sounds OK but not in my opinion worth purchasing. If someone gave one to me fitted I'd let that go but I would not lay out money for it.

While the actual exhaust note is improved the rattle just shines on through and for me drowns out any appreciative difference. Diesels just on the whole sound ****. More cylinders help but even though inside the cabin (where less combustion rattle is heard) it sounds pretty good with the 2.4 when hoofed, even the little 4-pot TS in the 916 sounds wayyy nicer.
I do admit that I have been spoiled by American V8's and flat plane V8's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like I can save myself a few quid then!

I'll leave the exhaust for now unless I get to see and hear one in the flesh.

Would love the V6 but just can't afford the running costs.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Sounds like I can save myself a few quid then!

I'll leave the exhaust for now unless I get to see and hear one in the flesh.

Would love the V6 but just can't afford the running costs.

It's only my opinion and youtube. By all means go and listen to one, don't take my word for it. :beer:

V6 - Indeed, me too. Can't justify the fuel bill for work :D. That said this 2.4 is only doing around 33-38 though in this weather and taking it easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts