Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the issue of cambelt changes being necessary earlier than handbooks say , due to w.pump bearing failure , has been well documented on here -- however , does anyone know whether the pump can be taken apart ? If they fail due to water ingress into the bearing then lubricating the seal could help (including zx1 into the water -- just takes 50mls or so). If it's not the seal that fails first then if the bearing can be taken out , heated to 50 degrees plus , dipped in zx1 , it will impregnate the surface helping to avoid failure. I've seen the pump online but can't tell from that whether it can be dismantled ?
If you think this is a little '' whacky '' then read through the ZX1 Extralube info , this method is listed there for individual stressed parts.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think also that REDLINE's WATER WETTER helps lube the seal in the water pump -- I use zx1 and water wetter in the race engine plus zx1 in the engine oil , gearbox oil and diff. ZX1 grease in the bearings & UJ's

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you change the waterpump with the cambelt every 50,000 or 4 years, i seriously doubt you would ever have a problem with it failing. If the products you mention were as good as they claim, wouldnt some of the premium component manufacturers use the product themselves?

Like the oil additives, wouldnt the oil companys add them themselves?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you change the waterpump with the cambelt every 50,000 or 4 years, i seriously doubt you would ever have a problem with it failing. If the products you mention were as good as they claim, wouldnt some of the premium component manufacturers use the product themselves?

I think they build to a price and if they didn't they may well go out of business ----- no failures equals no parts sold other than for new cars. Secondly on your other point regarding the advised 50,000 miles ---- quite a few go at 30,000 plus , not many I'll grant you but I don't want to be one of them.

Like the oil additives, wouldnt the oil companys add them themselves?
I'm only interested in them working in my car which they do --- very few guys I know are running with the same engine they competed with for the last 12 yrs --- I am though . I still have the same shells in the bottom end , even after the last inspection in 2010 and they'd been in there since 2006 at that time.
To be fair , oil manufacturers make products for road cars that have to meet the car manufacturer's service intervals which are '' sales '' lead --- plus detergents are needed. I'm quite prepared to drain mine after a short time on the race car and at least half the normal on my road car. This being the case , I buy rather expensive oils because they are way cheaper than repairs , I've always been a belt and braces sort of guy.
I'm sliding off my own topic here but will just say that I use Millers Nanodrive in engines of race and road car. Also Millers Nanotech gearbox oil --- then still add ZX1.

It's this personal experience of these products that made me want to attempt to prevent such a cheap item(water pump)causing such huge financial consequences if it failed. The belts themselves , according to most look ok even at 70,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts