Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I can get a good deal on a second hand flywheel and clutch from 159 2.4. I wonder if they are exchangeable with 156 2.4 20v?
Part numbers at LUK are different. Flywheel 415042310 for 156, 415042210 for 159. Clutch 624336033 vs 624335833.

Cheers Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had a look on eper and oem part numbers are different too and the concentric slaves look different so i would say no. Sizes are the same for the clutch 240mm and 23 splines though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, so perhaps the 159 clutch needs to be mated with a 156 concentric slave then - if possible at all. I know some guy used a reinforced clutch + DMF from 159 on his 156 20v. Maybe just take the chance and see if it is possible to fit.

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was called by my garage yesterday, they had some doubts but now confirmed it can be fitted. The bad news though is they now have doubts on the condition of the flywheel :-( Tomorrow a brand new one will arrive and we will compare it. If the 159 flywheel will be fitted I will let you know the result.

Perhaps someone can say - when turning the flywheel, should it be very stiff and difficult to move or is it ok if there is some initial movement possible without too much force used?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was called by my garage yesterday, they had some doubts but now confirmed it can be fitted. The bad news though is they now have doubts on the condition of the flywheel :-( Tomorrow a brand new one will arrive and we will compare it. If the 159 flywheel will be fitted I will let you know the result.

Perhaps someone can say - when turning the flywheel, should it be very stiff and difficult to move or is it ok if there is some initial movement possible without too much force used?
On my new DMF there was certainly a moderate amount of "free" concentric movement before the springs engaged. In fact the movement on the new DMF was not that much less than on the new one. However, the old DMF also had a lot of "in-out" movement on the pegs and the whole thing rattled alarmingly. There was no such movement on the new DMF. I appreciate that there will probably be more than one failure mode (and I have only ever seen one failed flywheel) so eg a broken spring would give much different symptoms.

Keith

·
Registered
471 Posts

Thanks! A new flywheel doesn't move by hand.
However if the movement is just 1-2 flywheel teeths I've been told it's still ok.
But shouldn't move inside/out when pulling/pushing by hand, if it does then a new flywheel should be fitted.
Regards

·
Registered
471 Posts

Any news? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any news? :)
Yes, just picked her up. We decided to fit new 156 parts. Not so expensive after all. Clutch 220 EUR / DMF 320 EUR. Both were 'refurbished' from Magnetti Marelli, but parts itself said LuK. Looked brand new to me. Decided not to take a gamble with 2nd hand. Gearbox removal and fitting was already 375 EUR itself. But it's all worth it, she goes like hell now:thumbup: Absolutely no lag when pressing the pedal at any speed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
So we'll never know about the 159 swap !
Or will we? I'm in the same boat. I'm going to try the 159 clutch, I'll send it back if the measurements aren't the same. I have a DMF ready for one of my 156s the other is getting stripped, there's nownt wrong wid it, except the bodywork! Cheap 156 20v part anyone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts