Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Steering rack needed replacement bought a new one from Hungary watched a guide to removal install. Seemed pretty easy. Everything disconnected just fine but it will not come out!

Guide from Italia Autos, not sure what engine that car has but the 2.2 has the cat at the back close to the rack. There is just not the same about of space as such I do not seem able to rotate enough to move the column sleeve to where it will come out. Seems to be hitting the heat shield on the cat.

I have disconnected the cat Flexi connection to give me a little more space but that seems to do very little.

I am thinking I will need to remove the rear subframe bolts?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Have you undone the anti roll bar , if I remember correctly making that move was easier to remove the rack, but that was on a 1.9

Neil will show you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unbolted the ARB but its not space in that direction that appears to be needed?

When you say removed did you just undo or remove all the way. it is completely free but cannot see how that gains me space to rotate the column arm forwards as the block is the cat?

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its Neil's guide that I watched but either the Cat is removed or it is not a 2.2 or or one that has a rear mounted cat in the similar space. For example where he reaches in and looses the rack bolt OS that space does not exist the cat is there.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I just undid the arb so it moved and then I pulled the rack out from the passenger side as I didnt have the room the other side due to a wall ...
But like I say mine was a 1.9 ...

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
If your 2.2 has very limited space due to the cat I would just undo the rear of subframe and see if you can gain enough space.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Managed to do it. Pig of a job given how easy it is on other engined cars. Aside from everything else in the guide in this thread you need to:

Remove the rear engine mount

Disconnect ARB but not remove

Disconnect the downpipes on the cat.

I did unbolt the rear subframe mounts but that does not really do anything as you would need to release the front ones and the arm behind the wheel arch splash guard to get enough room to drop the subframe by a measurable amount.

What a pain!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lasted for 24 hours before I needed to refill the new reservoir. Noise apparent again! Looked underneath and leaking again. Investigated and high pressure hose seems to have failed. So now need to partially remove and find a new hose or have it replaced. What a bloody pain.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm guessing its leaking at the rubber section of the pipe , if so it's just a hydraulic pipe , if you're in farming country take it so an agricultural place who fixes farm machinery or a plant hire company .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts