Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had no problems with my 2.0 Ti since I bought it, but this morning it wouldn't start.

Climbed in this morning, inserted the key, and it cranked quite sluggishly for a couple of seconds until I noticed the "boot open" sign on the dash. Took key out, went back to find the boot had been ajar all night, and closed it.

When I went to start her up again nothing but some clicking from behind the dash it seemed. No crank at all. Also, no warning lights of any kind.

In my experience a failure to crank and a clicking is a battery issue. I dug out a multimeter and attempted a battery check (I'm no expert) and got what seems to be a healthy reading. Could I get a reading of 12.64 from a dodgy battery? I have a Lithium jump starter but of course that was flat, so I'm charging that at the moment. I've also on my list to check earths when the rain is gone.

In the interim, any thoughts?
Thanks!

IMG_3235.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just tried to jump the car there with my jumper - didn't seem to even notice it was attached (assuming I was doing it right). Just a CLICK from behind the dash.

Dashboard was telling me the bonnet was open. I can only assume you're still able to start the car with the bonnet up!

Earths that I can see look in good shape. What's next to do?
Bash the starter motor with something?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Battery needs a good charge.
Clicking will be the solenoid unable to turn the stater motor due to the lack of power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Battery seems to be charged! Sounds like a power supply to the starter motor issue, probably corroded wires at one of the starter terminals. Not enough current getting through gives a sluggish start, then the wire breaks and no current gets through! I've seen this happen to quite a few vehicles at work.
Not sure what access will be like, but if you have someone try to start the car while you touch the broken wire to the appropriate terminal you should get many sparks and the car ought to fire up, just make sure it's not in gear and you're not holding bare wire!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Courtesy lights (interior and boot) switch themselves off after a few minutes if you leave them on...so that would not have any measurable effect on the battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. I won't be able look again until tomorrow.
In the interim any thoughts on access to the starter or the connecting wires?
I assume I need to remove the engine cover?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got the breakdown chap down today to see if anything could be fixed. Nothing doing. The Alfa went off on a trailer to await a trip to a garage on Monday.

To be honest the guy who arrived did nothing I hadn't done already and didn't show any appetite to crack out the multimeter and start diagnosing the problem. After deciding the battery was fine he declared it needed to go to a garage. Thanks buddy.

So it seems the battery is fine, so whatever is going on might be between the ignition switch and the starter/solenoid. Starter switch? Loose connection? Crankshaft sensor? Mischievous unicorns?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Probably Mischievous unicorns. Or maybe the starter motor is faulty? Even though the solenoid is clicking, there motor could still be faulty.

Ø

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only clicking is behind the dashboard switch.
There no activity or noise at all coming from the solenoid or starter.

Sooo, unicorns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In case anyone stumbles across this thread with the same symptoms... turns out the starter was knackered. It was narrowed down to this and was taken out for inspection. Too much wrong with it so it was replaced. €260 all in.

Now my only problem is I have my wife's car with me and can't drive mine home today. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts