Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

First post under this username. My old username was Rickyw, but can't re-activate as the email I used is no longer active. Grrrrrrrr. If anyone knows how.............

Anyway, I took delivery of a pre reg Giulia Veloce in late August fromArnold Clark in Linwood. I'm keen to get winter tyres on it by the end of October and I have a few questions.
On my 159 I used a set of 17inch multi spokes with 225 50 17 winter tyres. I note that the manual states that this is a permitted tyre size, and by checking an on line rolling radius calculator, they are almost identical in that respect to the 18 inch ones on my G.

I'm just checking that the wheels will fit. I think they should be ok as my 159 had the Brembos up front.

TPMS. Do I really need to fit TPMS valves? Will the car shout at me if it does not see them?

The wheels need a refurb, so trying to keep costs down馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ I'll get them done in the dark satin grey the 5 hole wheels on the G has.
What's your thoughts folks?

Premium Member
Check here for wheel sizes.
As well as wheel size, you need to check wheel offset is as close to a Giulia as possible but PCD should be the same and bore size should be the same
I have a space saver off a Brera I use as a spare and use a set of 17inch Giulia wheels with winter tyres on.
As far as TPMS is concerned, it鈥檚 only going to be an issue if your MOT is due in the time you have the winters fitted as the dash warning is an MOT fail.
you can get a set of valves off eBay for 拢150-ish that work straight out of the box with no programming needed. Your local tyre fitter can fit them when he fits your tyres.

I got these a couple of years ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks

PCD and bore are the same. Only difference appears to be the offset which on the 159 wheels is 40 and on the Giullia is 44. Not sure what difference if any that would make.

Premium Member
The offset determines the distance away from the hub the outer wheel sits and so how much clearance there is inside the wheel for the brake callipers. You could jack up a front wheel and try fitting your 17inch wheel then very gently spin it by hand (handbrake only locks rear wheels) to see if there鈥檚 enough clearance. If the fronts spin ok with no fouling, lock to lock with a tyre on, then they should also fit on the rears on a Veloce.

Reactions: Hamfisti

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks. Looking at other wheel size sites, I'm getting inconsitent results for oiffset for both 159 & Giullia wheel sizes.

Thanks for the heads up on the sensors though. Well priced!

Registered
Yes they definitely will fit, I trial fitted them on my car as I had a set left over from my 159 and Brera but in the end sold them and fitted winter tyres to my original turbine wheels.

I have to say though that the multispokes looked awful on my Brera and even worse on my Giulia

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jon.

I do agree that the car wil not look great with those wheels, but useability is my prime concern. In order to get out of my street I need to climb a hill. The 159 really really struggled on summer tyres, but with winter tyres it was like driving if there was no snow present!

I'll do a trial fit of the wheels on the front at the weekend hopefully.

Still interested to find out if having non TPMS valves will trigger a permanent warning. The manual does make a mention around this, but is rather vague.

I do appreciate the need for TPMS with runflats, but my winters are standard Michelin Alpin tyres.

Registered
If you are using standard tyres and want to keep a spare wheel then a 17'' space saver from a 159 or Brera fits fine

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Good job I have a 159 space saver. Pity there is nowhere to keep it馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Hi

Thanks

PCD and bore are the same. Only difference appears to be the offset which on the 159 wheels is 40 and on the Giullia is 44. Not sure what difference if any that would make.
No, most of Giulia (not counting Q) wheels are ET33 (8") and ET34 (9" wide rims), at least if we talk about 18/19" size rims. I've seen once ET44.5 on 9" rims 18" luxury alloys , not sure if these were some pre production (they were on auction of used and in Poland we had a lot of pre-production 2015 cars disassembled and sold for spares/retrofits etc).

For proper look Giulia needs rears 9" ET34 or 8" ET33 and spacer (IMHO).

159 17" OEM rim is only 7.5" wide and ET is 41 - outer face will be deeper than wide setup on rear ~1" vs 9" alloys and ~0.5" vs 8" wide alloys - it will look bad.
I had 19"x8" horseshoe rims left form my 159, and temporarily I put them for winter (delivery of new 18" was delayed), and they already didn' tlook very well (too deep) nonetheless they were 8" wide. with 7.5" wide all will look only worse. Please see how that looked:

Premium Member
I don't think the 17" Giulia wheels are 8" wide (7.5" I think), neither are the 16" off the base model - again 7" I think. Yes they will look 'pushed in' so really if you want to keep the look longer bolts and 8mm spacers would be the order of the day. TPMS valves aren't cheap - I was quoted 拢300 for a new set to pair up with my car, consequently I transferred the valves over to the new wheels. Might be worth checking eBay for some cheaper ones... Consequence of not fitting: light on dash & won't pass MOT...

Registered
yes 17s for giulia are 7.5 my point was that with et41 (159 rims) all will look poor

in term so tpms i bought Schrader tpms valves dedicated for Giulia on obe of polish webshops, with delivery that cost me EUR140 for set of 4. i fitted them myself and with rims given to tire shops for putting new tires. tpms sensors self-programned inyo my car within mile or two. no dtc codes on dash ever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts