Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After lusting after one, I managed to find and purchase a gorgeous 159 ti a few months ago. Late 2012 model, low mileage, fastidiously maintained... all that good stuff.

Anyway, the car has been an absolute joy to drive since then except for a seemingly random and innocuous loss of power every now and again.

It’s pretty difficult to pinpoint because it rarely happens, but I’d have to say that it happens under full throttle in high gear (5th or 6th) after I’ve short shifted up to a reasonable cruising speed. If I’m on the highway in 5th or 6th at, say, 100kph, and put my foot down to overtake or get to 120kph, the car sometimes just bogs down and refuses to accelerate.

The way I’ve been getting round this is simply to lift off the gas and then reapply throttle, and everything seems fine after that.

Just wondering if this is something that happens to others and if it’s an easy fix (eg ECU update, error code clearance).

Anyone have any idea what I’m on about?

Cheers,
Delta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I’ve been getting round this is simply to lift off the gas and then reapply throttle, and everything seems fine after that.
This statement makes me want to say the clutch is slipping when you punch the throttle. How low is your mileage?
Have you ever noticed it at lower gears?
Thanks for the reply, but it’s most definitely not a clutch issue. It’s most likely a boost or fueling issue I reckon, possibly electronics-related. Short of taking the car into the dealer, I was hoping someone might have experienced the same thing and had it resolved.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Sounds like a boost leak. If it's under warranty, it's probably best to take it to a mechanic. If not, maybe a diagnostic will pick up an error.

A friend had an intermittent problem on a 159 1750tbi ti where the car would lose boost intermittently. After months of frustrating dealer fault searching, it turned out that the boost sensor cable needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It does happen to mine as well, maybe three times since I bought it 1.5 years ago, at the 159 Lounge, they did discuss it, either the boost sensor cable was too short or something like that or the ECU have not been updated.
I am not too bothered by that, so didn't take it back to Alfa for checking.

Ya, if you get it sorted let us know, but most likely, your 159 is not under warranty anymore, mine is a 2014 model and it is out of it. So best bet, Alfia Auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys... much appreciated.

My car is possibly maybe still under warranty - it's a December 2012 model and the 159s came with 5 year warranties and 6 year service plans at the time. I will ring the dealer to check.

As you say, Jchan11hk, it hardly ever happens and isn't a dealbreaker... it is just a bit weird. Not like the car is going to break or anything, just a strange thing to happen. Cynical me says it's one of those Italian car flaws that "adds character" :hehe:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
mine is a 2014 model and only gets 3 years maintenance plan and 3 years warranty :argue::argue:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
its a common issue on the 1750.. boost pressure sensor. if you in JHB, go to chats and ask for Raymond... its that common

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hi guys,

After lusting after one, I managed to find and purchase a gorgeous 159 ti a few months ago. Late 2012 model, low mileage, fastidiously maintained... all that good stuff.

Anyway, the car has been an absolute joy to drive since then except for a seemingly random and innocuous loss of power every now and again.

It’s pretty difficult to pinpoint because it rarely happens, but I’d have to say that it happens under full throttle in high gear (5th or 6th) after I’ve short shifted up to a reasonable cruising speed. If I’m on the highway in 5th or 6th at, say, 100kph, and put my foot down to overtake or get to 120kph, the car sometimes just bogs down and refuses to accelerate.

Just wondering if this is something that happens to others and if it’s an easy fix (eg ECU update, error code clearance).

Anyone have any idea what I’m on about?

Cheers,
Delta
Software update dated around August 2013 will sort you out. I had the same issue with my TBI. It was updated and the problem went away.

Also as Paul says, boost pressure sensor. It's not even the sensor but the wiring to the sensor that's faulty. New wiring loom section should be installed.

Software update runs the whole system purely on knock sensor feedback so max boost isn't fixed at 1.5 bar either. If it can boost more without knock then it will. Makes the car much more lively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts