Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car in for a clutch change, but imagine my surprise this morning when I was given a 159 saloon 1750 Ti as a loan car!!

So how does it compare?

To start with the engine is as sweet as any engine I have ever had the experience of, it is smooth and pulls cleanly from about 1200 rpm, loads of torque and no complaints even in 5th gear pulling away from this low down. It is very quiet too, but after living with a diesel I guess it would be! The turbo gives mid range grunt us diesel owners love, floor it in 6th at 60mph and away she goes. The engine spins up easily, on a couple of occasions the rev limiter has cut in, I guess there is a difference in the gearing between the diesel and petrol, that is what caught me out. What did disappoint with the engine was the total lack of a raspy exhaust note sound, the twin exhausts look good but there is a total lack of an audible experience, Alfa! This needs changing!!

I was surprised at the feel of the car on the road, pleasantly surprised that is, yes I expected it to have a crisper turn in than my Lusso, but it really does stick to the road, no surprise there. But what did surprise me was the ride, I had been put off a Ti when I bought my car last year, I did expect the bigger wheels with lower profile tyres and firmer shocks to give an unsettled bumpy ride, not a bit of it, the car is composed and a delight even on the poorly maintained country roads I have to suffer.

Would I change my diesel for a 1750? No is the simple answer I'm afraid. Yes I'd have a quieter car, but the 'B' trip gave me an average of 27mpg on the trip home, my 1.9JTD would display 45mpg on the same trip. I suspect that overall the consumption would settle at around an average 25mpg with some stop start in the town as well, well short of the 34mpg 'official figure'. The additional cost for fuel does not reflect a big enough increase in performance over and above what I have, or not so much better to make the difference worth the extra cost. In fact I suspect a good remap would see a 1.9JTD see off a 1750 TBI. OK I know I will be slated for saying that, but that is my experience of driving both cars.

Should I have bought a TI instead of a Lusso? Again no. Yes the brakes, handling and ride are better, but that can all be modified if it mattered to me that much, cant it? What cant be changed on the Ti that I dont like is the black headlining, that was a big put off last year. But would I modify my Lusso? I dont think so, most of the time I just drive the car without pushing it to the limit.

However a trip to AHM to have the DPF removed? Thats a different prospect!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Have to say the dark interior puts me off the Ti as well, although i think it is probably the best looking saloon on the road today externally ..... my wife wanted A Ti too but again the dark headlining etc and the fact we got used to the cream interior on mine has swayed us from dark cabins forever i think, hence her 4 month old Insignia with cream interior!

Mine has the full cream door panels not just the inserts and its just a nice quality feeling place too be, sat in a few black interior cars and it just feels a bit cheap now (no offence!)

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
have to say the dark interior puts me off the ti as well, although i think it is probably the best looking saloon on the road today externally ..... My wife wanted a ti too but again the dark headlining etc and the fact we got used to the cream interior on mine has swayed us from dark cabins forever i think, hence her 4 month old insignia with cream interior!

Mine has the full cream door panels not just the inserts and its just a nice quality feeling place too be, sat in a few black interior cars and it just feels a bit cheap now (no offence!)
+1:)

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my 159 SW is Alfa Red with beige (cream) interior, I liked the natural interior, but you still get black door panels with a natural insert, the dash is black too, OK if you like that sort of thing but black, black and black is too Audi/BMW for me thanks.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or you could just opt for the tan (lighter) interior like me which incidently IS available in TI spec :rolleyes:
Tan, I think that is what they call natural, that is the colour SW I was looking at, the headlining is still black.:(

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Incidentally the Ti I have at the moment is metalic black with black interior, what a waste!! It would look so much better with the red leather!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Good point about the tan. . . Probably feels brighter in a sportwagon too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have to say the dark interior puts me off the Ti as well, although i think it is probably the best looking saloon on the road today externally ..... my wife wanted A Ti too but again the dark headlining etc and the fact we got used to the cream interior on mine has swayed us from dark cabins forever i think, hence her 4 month old Insignia with cream interior!

Sorry chaps give me black anytime :thumbs:

Cream (Beige!) reminds me of old men in Jags :lol:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I know what you mean about Jags, but the Alfa is more modern in its styling and there is no fake wood! :eek:

I dont think it was necessarily the black dash/seats that put me off, like it was said before the headlining being black put me off more than anything too and also the alloy panels in that blue/grey effect looked a bit cheap to be honest but its horses for courses and i appreciate the black and love the seat design (mine allow too much lateral movement, or perhaps i should try slowing down for corners:lol:) , my 156 SP was all black inside although it had a light grey headlining..... oh i miss that car....:(

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh! You guys who like black and black!! You must all be closet Audi/BMW lovers, they only come in black or grey (they call it silver) and charcoal interiors, so they can blend in on the M25 on a dull day. A strange similarity to the colour the Royal Navy paint their ships, drab grey!:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
I love the black interior/headliner. :thumbs:

(Mind you I did buy the car in winter. :eek:)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I think this thread has gone slightly off tangent! :)

Excellent review by the way although i think my next Alfa will have this TBi engine, i miss the noise of the petrol with a quality exhaust and induction set up....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Good review of the TBi Alfared159:), I had wondered how they compared:confused:, but didn't dare try one as i'm still new to 'modern' Alfa ownership:rolleyes: (had the Berlina for years now:thumbs:) and the ways of Alfa Diesel compared to my previous 8 years in a 130 Bhp Golf TDi:D.
I'm in the All Black camp, as my Ti is Black/Black interior with Stromboli Grey paint.
So, whilst wearing ones slippers and smoking jacket, stick that in yer pipe n smoke it, tan/beige/green/blue/red leather Jaaaaaaag lovers!!!!:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts