Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife went for 40 miles round trip to her parents house today.....everything fine...stopped off at shops for 5 mins on way home....got back into car...all dashboard lights came up as usual.
Pressed start button.....just clicks...not starting.....no cranking.
Petrol tank half full.

Left car......Got friend to leave her home...I can't get to car until tomorrow.

Any ideas how to get it started tomorrow before I call the insurance breakdown ?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've had similar on a 2.4 but when pressing start it killed all the electrics so maybe not quite what you're experiencing. For me a cut off switch had popped, the one on the top of the battery. Try giving that a press and see if it cures it?
Next I'd suspect a failed earth on the battery to body, take a jump lead, clip it to the negative terminal and run it somewhere metal on the engine.
Hope that you get it sorted!
Guy

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SanRemo

Will give those suggestions a try tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope

Tried all of the above...not a sausage.

Got an error code P520 pop up.. oil sensor but doubt that would have anything to do with the lack of starting.
Everything works and lights up as it should .....just the clicking of the ignition.....suppose that is quite an important part of the car :LOL:

Methinks it's an insurance breakdown truck to bring to my local mechanic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It could very well do everything with your issue - if there is no oil in the engine and it seized, so the starter cannot overcome forces of a stuck piston.
Hope this won't be your case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this on an old Polo I owned, pulled up at the petrol station and wouldn't start for the life of me.

Ended up giving the starter a quick (very heavy) tap with the jack handle that I had in the back of the car - just needed some persuasion. Once back home and all checked, it ended up being the wiring to the starter which had fatigued and broken, so it was only getting 6V rather than the 12V needed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is possible the battery has died, low battery power might get you random faults.
Check if the starter actually engages. Sometimes the battery power drops so low when the starter is powered it doesn't even have enough power to counteract the return spring.
But I would guess you've already tried to jump-start it.
Electronics seem in order since there is a starter relay click.

So it is possible there is not enough power or too much resistance.
Resistance can be startermotor related (like a seized shaft or interfering return spring) (thats probably why @Georgew221 was able to pursuade his starter motor). Can also be engine side related, like seized engine or maybe a seized accessory (altenator, power steering, water pump, etc).
Check if you can crank the engine by hand, and maybe remove the aux belt and try again.

Give it a jump and let it "charge" over the jump cables for a little first if you haven't done that (sometimes the jump cables cant carry enough amps to run the startermotor). Would be a shame to tear half the car apart to release the battery just didn't have enough charge.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....ended up getting recovery truck out.....he tried to get it started but in vain.
It's now with local mechanic who is gonna have a wee look tomorrow morning....his initial thought was starter motor.
At least it's home(ish)......

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Mechanic called today......earth problem.....he has just received the part and will have it done by this afternoon....£60.

Happy bunny......thanks for all you help folks. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts