Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was quite sure how to title this..but anyway probably a silly question..at the moment I have the 2.2 jts which has done 134000km...I have access to a brand new 1.9 jts engine.(939A600) .obviously the 1.9 has much less power...but is it possible modify to 1.9 jts using parts from the 2.2? are any of the parts the same?...I like the idea of having a new engine, so I don't have to spend big bucks on a brand new car :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi All,

I was quite sure how to title this..but anyway probably a silly question..at the moment I have the 2.2 jts which has done 134000km...I have access to a brand new 1.9 jts engine.(939A600) .obviously the 1.9 has much less power...but is it possible modify to 1.9 jts using parts from the 2.2? are any of the parts the same?...I like the idea of having a new engine, so I don't have to spend big bucks on a brand new car :)
The subframe is the same which is a good start. I'm not sure there is a massive difference with the ancillaries either but the ECU will be different. Would be worth getting the engines in a blow up diagram from eper and comparing the part numbers. Maybe it's the same block?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The engine block is the same. The only difference is the stroke so it's probably just the conrods or the crankshaft that differ.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
134000 Km is, or should be, nothing for an engine?
You're right, nothing is wrong with the engine, I only had the both the balance and timing chains changed, I was going to get the engine and keep it as a spare, so when my car has done 200000km, which will be in about 3 years time, I will have a spare ready..I don't always trust wreckers, some not all, will tell whatever they can in order to make commission on what they are selling..(could be the same for this new engine :) )..But this company has 4 spare new 1.9 engines, I think here in Australia the GM (holden engines/block) were made here..but I could be wrong :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine block is the same. The only difference is the stroke so it's probably just the conrods or the crankshaft that differ.

if this is the case, do I just transfer conrods, crankshaft from my 2.2 in to this new 1.9 engine..and keeping the electronics the same? plus the ecu?

·
Registered
274 Posts

if this is the case, do I just transfer conrods, crankshaft from my 2.2 in to this new 1.9 engine..and keeping the electronics the same? plus the ecu?
I'd think it would be that 'straightforward' but your probably best getting advice from a friendly independent garage who know more about the technical details.

Reactions: Jos H. Boss

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd think it would be that 'straightforward' but your probably best getting advice from a friendly independent garage who know more about the technical details.
the 1.9 jts never sold here, only the 1.9 jtd...the guy who newly appointed manager, didn't know where the engines came from..(or did he ;) ), I'm probably best to find out from my mechanic, but I thought I would check here first...we have a couple of "new" engines floating around here, including a v6 Brera engine, including the 3.6 SS Holden Commodore Engine (vauxhall, camaro)..I thought about trying the 3.6 conversion..but I've got to many cars, with limited money..and I don't feel like selling the ones I have...

thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
the 1.9 jts never sold here, only the 1.9 jtd...the guy who newly appointed manager, didn't know where the engines came from..(or did he ;) ), I'm probably best to find out from my mechanic, but I thought I would check here first...we have a couple of "new" engines floating around here, including a v6 Brera engine, including the 3.6 SS Holden Commodore Engine (vauxhall, camaro)..I thought about trying the 3.6 conversion..but I've got to many cars, with limited money..and I don't feel like selling the ones I have...

thanks for the tip :)
3.6 would be epic!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3.6 would be epic..probably costly as well..anyhow Ive ordered the 1.9 engine..I just have to change the cylinder block, crankshaft and conrods...fingers crossed it goes to plan :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Any update on how you got on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet..
I asked them if I can leave a deposit on the engine as I just had a big ambulance bill (my wife almost gave birth at home, had to get the ambulance to come out, long and funny story, and costly bill)..so I gave the company my email address to send me an invoice and their bank details to deposit money, but I didn't get any reply, so I didn't chase them....the engines (4 ) are still available..but I don't know how old the engines are and if I would really be able to use it....I just got timing chains done 3000km ago..so I'm still thinking about it and thinking about my other cars to..thinking about selling them all and just keeping one....then I'll regret doing it :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts