Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps.

I've been dreaming about a 159 Ti for a few months now, and finally had a test drive today....

I drove a white 1.9 Ti - first impressions ? Stunning car - from every angle. Went for a 15 mile drive, and whilst it felt really planted and changed direction really well for a big car, I just couldn't get over how underpowered it felt. The car had 10k on the clock, so it was properly run in.

I currently drive an Altea 2.0 TDi, that's been remapped to 170bhp, and it feels like a rocket in comparison (and does 50mpg).

After reading about the 2.4 fuel consumption issues here, I'd pretty much dismissed that option, but I may have to reconsider now - not sure I could live with the mpg though.

My missus has a 1.9 CDTi Astra (120bhp), with a stupid Sport button on the dash. In normal mode, that too feels underpowered, but press the Sport button and it feels really responsive. If GM can use different maps to spice up their diesel engines, why couldn't Alfa do the same to the 150bhp engine ?

Out of interest, has anyone tried remapping the 1.9 JTD ? Did it help ? The Bluefin remap of my Altea increased power from 140bhp to 170bhp, but it was only noticeable when the turbo kicks in - below that there was no difference, so I'm not sure a remap of a 159 would be the answer, as it was the lack of response which disappointed me the most.

Anyway, enough of my gripes. Enjoy your cars !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - 190bhp sounds more promising. I'd appreciate some feedback from someone who's actually done it though !

I'm not looking to start a "my Altea is faster than your ...." argument (yum yum ?), but I'm sure you'd appreciate that it's difficult to justify spending £10k-plus upgrading to a car that's not as "driveable" than the one you already have. If I can find a Ti close to the performance I'm used to, I'll be happy with that :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Picked up 1.9 ti yesterday with autodelta remap. Demo car was impressive, mine has 52 miles so will need to loosen up. Imho remapped 1.9 is better package than standard 2.4. Like Fraser says front end is lighter. I'm averaging 45 mpg on day 2 of ownership. Demo car was similar.

Mangoletsi have remapped demos, maybe try your local dealer?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm with Fraser - the sound of the 2.4, and the twin exhausts swayed me. Depends how many miles you do because the 2.4 will always be thirstier than a mapped 1.9; but it may surprise you how little extra it costs you over a year. My 2.4 returns 35 (mostly A & B Roads).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts