Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Last week I noticed this terrible squeaking noise (immediately after I bumped up the tyre pressure) whenever I turn the steering wheel. It seems to be getting louder every day, very audible outside the car as well (people literally turning heads around whenever I park). Any ideas what that might be? steering rack or suspension?

Inside: https://youtu.be/UCCraP5MWUo
Outside: https://youtu.be/UbNxSt246HM
Edit: PAS reservoir: https://youtu.be/JkaLF47tm0g

I will appreciate any help.

Cheers,
V

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Does it get worse with the air con and all electrics, lights blower etc.? If so its the belt slipping, if not its either the pas pump or the valve in the pas reservoir has broken, is the pas fluid frothing up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't notice any difference with air con, radio, lights and fans on. Pas fluid does not seem to be frothing up... could that still be something up with power steering ? Can we rule out the suspension?

PAS reservoir: https://youtu.be/JkaLF47tm0g

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I didn't notice any difference with air con, radio, lights and fans on. Pas fluid does not seem to be frothing up... could that still be something up with power steering ? Can we rule out the suspension?

PAS reservoir: https://youtu.be/JkaLF47tm0g
its hard to see from the vid, but that reservoir level looks a bit low...is there definitely enough fluid in there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its hard to see from the vid, but that reservoir level looks a bit low...is there definitely enough fluid in there?
Nice catch :) it was at minimal level. I added about 250ml of green fluid and the squeaking seems to be a notch lower, but that might be just placebo effect.

I still have a valid 5 star AA Warranty on the car and PAS pump/reservoir on the parts list, but I am not sure if they wouldn't classify this as wear and tear...

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Nice catch :) it was at minimal level. I added about 250ml of green fluid and the squeaking seems to be a notch lower, but that might be just placebo effect.

I still have a valid 5 star AA Warranty on the car and PAS pump/reservoir on the parts list, but I am not sure if they wouldn't classify this as wear and tear...
if its been running on low for a while, it might be the PAS pump worn out. It's worth checking that policy just in case it's a worst case scenario :/

definitely keep an eye on the level over the coming few days -- also look for any new puddles under the drivers side wheel.

good luck - i hope it's just me being pessimistic :)

edit: as for wear and tear - if the reservoir has failed causing the pump to become defective, then that doesn't sound like wear and tear to me...but don't quote me on that one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
sounds like a dry ball joint to me. Jack up the front to take weight off the suspension (I'm thinking lower ball joint) and try steering again, do it for both sides and see if it stops...or not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
sounds like a dry ball joint to me. Jack up the front to take weight off the suspension (I'm thinking lower ball joint) and try steering again, do it for both sides and see if it stops...or not.
I agree: sounds like a lower balljoint. Rectification will require replacement of the lower wishbone, and unfortunately you're unlikely to get this under warranty, as it hasn't actually "failed" and is normally considered to be "wear and tear".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Last week I noticed this terrible squeaking noise (immediately after I bumped up the tyre pressure) whenever I turn the steering wheel. It seems to be getting louder every day, very audible outside the car as well (people literally turning heads around whenever I park). Any ideas what that might be? steering rack or suspension?

Sounds like the power steering res needs replacing ( £34 ) and power steering fluid needs to be bleed and changed for fresh GRI, process is simple and takes about an hour to do job.

Res was changed in 2008 mine was a 2009 but still had the old part fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I jacked up the front and there was no noise when I turned the steering wheel - utter silence. I'm going to get the wishbones and links checked this Sat.

I had this problem a few years ago, does the fluid froth if you take the cap off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yck1aQgvPoY
New reservoir and fluid as suggested will fix it.
Mine is not frothing up, but if the suspension inspection will be inconclusive, that's the next thing I'm going check.

L

·
0 Posts
Mine's making the same noise and I took it to Duncan (alfanet) in Bristol - straight away he said lower wishbone ball joint (mine was passenger side).

My car is currently in his workshop getting the passenger side upper and lower wishbones replaced, plus new clutch, DMF and slave cylinder etc replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This turned out to be a cracked ball joint (lower arm) - injecting some extra grease into the cracked rubber resulted in complete silence when turning the wheels.
I'll have to wait till it starts creaking/squeaking again and try my luck with the warranty replacement, but yeah it is the lower wishbone not the PAS reservoir.

Thank you all for all the help!

Cheers,
V.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This turned out to be a cracked ball joint (lower arm) - injecting some extra grease into the cracked rubber resulted in complete silence when turning the wheels.
I'll have to wait till it starts creaking/squeaking again and try my luck with the warranty replacement, but yeah it is the lower wishbone not the PAS reservoir.

Thank you all for all the help!

Cheers,
V.
I got my 159 from this dealer, i took the warranty out. the gearbox was making a noise, they did pay out. I took the car to motermech who did everything, they phoned the AA and sorted it. I just had to pick the car up. some I would say taker it Motermech if possible.

hope you sort it .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts